Commendable
May 26, 2016
Laptop details
HP Pavilion DM4t 1000
DGPU - ATI RADEON HD 4540
IGPU - Intel graphics media accelerator
OS - Win7 64bit
BIOS - Insyde20H - F27

Suddenly couple of days back my screen went black and when i restarted and when windows windows loaded after the start screen display went black. I went to safe mode and windows loaded. I disabled the discrete graphics card from device manager but when i restarted and logged into windows in normal mode it went black again.

I wasn't sure but i assumed my DGPU was burnt and in bios changed the default "hybrid" option to IGPU for Video Graphics. Once i did that i was able to login to windows and in device manager my ATI graphics card was not seen. All fine. But when i restart my laptop again, the BIOS resets itself to hybrid again and the screen goes black once windows load.

What are my options here? Can the mode be set to IGPU in BIOS permanently? Since the screen goes black as soon as my dgpu is involved can i assume my DGPU is dead? If i can just have IGPU set that should be sufficient for me.

Appreciate any help or pointers.

Hi,

There should be a reason why BIOS re-enables it again. Have you tried doing a clean install of the graphics card driver? Please do try these that may work.
- First is doing the clean install method of the graphics card driver.
- Load the laptop first into Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once in Safe Mode, go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the laptop again back into the normal mode and see if it will load normally.
- If the same problem will persist I would suggest reinstalling Windows as well.
- And if all these will not work might as well have the laptop repaired.