Issue with converting composite to HDMI on new Samsung

prossetti

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I recently bought this TV: Samsung TV. I also have a standard definition cable box from Comcast which has a composite output. I realized once I got the new TV that there is no composite input on it so I bought a composite to HDMI converter. The problem is the quality actually seems worse with the converter than with my previous TV, which is an older 720p Panasonic Viera. I would expect it would at least be on par if not better. Do I need to do something with the TV settings to fix the quality? Is there a special way to set it up that I'm missing (it seems pretty straightforward)?

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Get a New cable box from your provider with your needed connection type... their signal equipment will be best for your new set... You can go there direct, and pick one up, or wait for hours/days for a service man?

prossetti

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

Thank you for the suggestion. I asked Comcast if they had standard definition boxes that don't have composite output and the answer was no, so I don't think that will work.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Typically they make HDMI, USB, CAT#? and Coaxial Boxes.. multiple outputs.
1) look on your Box for a Coaxial output and connect to your TV antenna input/switch?
2) What is brand/model # on Box?
3) where do you live?

prossetti

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

1) I tried plugging the coaxial output into the TV antenna and it was still bad (if not worse than with the converter).
2) The cable box brand is Motorola and the model # is DCT700/US.
3) I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Ok so you just have a SD quality BOX and Plan... and your trying to up scale to a HD Picture, well it Doesn't work that well as you are finding out. I would suggest buying a well reviewed Antenna, and connecting it to you NEW TV... and you will be able to pick up free local transmissions and experience HD quality reception/picture, if you are not willing to go the HD BOX and Plan with your new set.

prossetti

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

So are you saying there's no way to maintain the same quality with my new Samsung without upgrading to an HD box or switching to antenna? There aren't many antenna channels in my area (I just looked) so that wouldn't really work.