Issues with displaying 4k@60Hz, which component is faulty

nico53laval

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hey guys,

I have an Orion CLB48B4800S 4K TV with one HDMI 2.0 input. I use my Alienware 15 R2 and an Amazon Basics HDMI High-Speed cable to display 4K content on it. The NVIDIA Control Panel lets me set the refresh rate to 60Hz. When I do that, mouse movements and games look noticeably smoother than with 30Hz. However, sound quality suffers, and when I test the display using the UFO test on chrome, it tells me that it only displays 40Hz.

If anybody has experienced this and knows a possible solution, I'd appreciate any help! Otherwise, I need to find out which component is faulty here. Any tips on how to do that?

Kind regards

Edit: so I've found a solution to Chrome's V-Sync issue and it seems I can now display 4k@60 Hz without any issues. However, sound is still distorted for some reason when I choose 60 Hz.

Solution
So, for anybody encountering the same issue, or having the issue of not being able to use Chrome full-screen on external displays, do the following:
Create a Chrome shortcut on your desktop.
Right-click it and select properties.
In the "Target" field, add a space and --disable-direct-composition at the end.
Voilà, fixed!

nico53laval

Honorable
May 19, 2012

It says on the cable that it is "high-speed with ethernet" so it is supposed to be an HDMI 2.0 cable.
Also, I can set the output to 4K@60Hz and actually get a picture, it's just that there seem to be weird glitches.

But actually, I just asked Amazon for a replacement cable, it should arrive in a couple of days, so I'll be certain then.

nico53laval

Honorable
May 19, 2012

I got the new cables, and it still doesn't seem to work. The TV advertises being able to display 4K@60Hz even on the ports, and my laptop is supposed to have HDMI 2.0, so how do I know where the problem is?

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Your TV should have a way to display what kind of signal it's receiving. Also what UFO test are you running? the one for PWM? What did the result say exactly? Did it say 40 under frame rate while showing 60 as refresh rate?If that's the case, you're fine, your display is doing 60 refresh but your GPU was only able to animate 40 frames per sec.. (no surprising with a GTX-970)

nico53laval

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Ok I think I just found the solution, by pure luck! I had an issue with Chrome suddenly black-screening on external displays and found a post that suggested using the "--disable-direct-composition" flag. Well, it turns out that I get perfect Vsync in 4K at 60 Hz now!
Could you maybe repost the following, so I can pick it as the solution?

So, for anybody encountering the same issue, or having the issue of not being able to use Chrome full-screen on external displays, do the following:
Voilà, fixed!

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Voilà, fixed!

Solution