Issues with my arrow keys on my keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palazzo

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
I've got a HP laptop, and lately the left and right arrow keys on its built-in keyboard have inexplicably given out. Pressing either one of them just triggers a random smattering of other keys instead. (A few presses of the left arrow key does this: http://i.imgur.com/WX3b0zN.png and a few presses of the right arrow key do this: http://i.imgur.com/MdqGz4p.png). I'm not having issues with any other keys on my keyboard but those two arrow keys. Does anyone know what the issue is?

Solution
You could try updating the keyboard drivers. However, unless something has been spilled or dropped on it, which could cause the problem, your keyboard may well just need replacing.
It may be a "Numlock" problem. Here are three ways to try and unlock it.

A. You can try this shortcut, press (together) the Fn + Nmlk keys.

B. You can also try disabling it in the registry...

1. Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box.
2. Type "regedit" and press "Enter" to open the Windows "Registry Editor".
3. In the "Registry Editor", open the following registry key.

HKEY_USER\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard\

4. In the keyboard folder, you should see a string value named “InitialKeyboardIndicators” with a value of 0, 1, or 2. You need to change the value to 1, and you’re done.

NOTE: The Values are as follows...

0 = Num Lock is turned OFF after the logon.
1 = Disable Num Lock.
2 = Numlock is turned ON after the logon.

C. Disable NumLock in the BIOS

You can also change how your computer handles the NumLock, when the computer first boots up, through the BIOS.

1. Turn on your computer, and as soon as you see the initial POST boot screen, press the designated key for entering the BIOS Setup.
2. Locate the the “NumLock State,” “NumLock Key“, “Boot Up NumLock Status” or a similar option
3. Change the value to Disabled or Off.
4. Save your changes and exit the BIOS.

Palazzo

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I don't have a numlock key on my keyboard, and making the registry change you recommend changed nothing, even after restarting my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.