Question Iternal Microphone Not Working When I Plug In Headphones

Jan 11, 2021
I have a ASUS Tuf Gaming Laptop.

When trying to voice chat with other people it doesn't work if I use a normal headset with no mic. For some reason the internal mic stops working. But if I unplug my headphones the mic works. I've tried messing with settings but nothing seems to work.

I also have Realtek Audio Console and DTS Headphones programs already pre installed on this laptop.

Any ideas? I would like to use my normal headphones without having to buy a big headset with a mic already on them.

Feb 16, 2021
Okay. After having this problem for a long time myself, this is what worked for me. I haven't seen this anywhere else online, so I'll put this out here and maybe it helps someone else.

After taking care of the basics - reinstalling drivers and the like, I finally discovered the Realtek HD Audio Manager.
(my) Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Audio\Drivers\HDADrv\WIN64
Open RAVBpl64 or RAVCpl64 (run with administrator obviously).

Click the "input jack" (black hole) underneath Analog within the "Speakers" tab, and select headphones.

I have no idea why my headphones were assumed to be a headset, but this instantly fixed the problem for me. I can now use the internal mic with the headphones plugged in because it doesn't try to use some imaginary mic on my cans.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SamWinsor Laptop Tech Support 7
bwoble_ Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 5
K Laptop Tech Support 1
Artherisk Laptop Tech Support 1
Linda Shrum Laptop Tech Support 2
firedancer4 Laptop Tech Support 0
yimsies Laptop Tech Support 0
P Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 0
BlaM666 Laptop Tech Support 1