It's Now Legal to Crack Your PC Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but...this is spectacular news, no?
my REAL question...WHAT ABOUT MUSIC??? also, if I am "caught" with a DVD rip in, let's say, Australia (where they search your ext HDD), how can I prove that "it's ok, I own the original!"

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
It's so good that it actually scares me a bit... Nice.

But how does this affect prior accusations and demands? Does it affect at all? When does it come into effect?

Cheers!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Marcus, technically the DMCA didn't get a revision. The Library of Congress, which administrates copyright legislation like the DMCA, meets every three years to review requests for exceptions. These can be both new exceptions and renewals. The jailbreak exception is a new one and is good for three years (if they don't renew it in 2013, it goes back to Apple's favor). The exception for ebooks is a renewal. The law has not technically been changed. Just a little clarification there.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Operating of games while not on the Internet is surely a security measure. Sorry Ubisoft, if I can't play it on the go I'm not buying it for the lappy.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]getritch[/nom]...my question is...is my Htc Hero's warranty still voided?[/citation]
Of course it is. There's no law against pouring sugar in your own gas tank either, but if you run your car like that, no way Ford's gonna cover the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.