I've tried everything I can think of to get my Sony DAV-Z140 surround sound system to work with my new Philips 5000 series 4K

Chris_336

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
I tried hdmi to the main. I tried easy hdmi sync. I tried coax. I tried unplugging and starting over. The only thing I haven't tried is a house fire! Anyone got any suggestions???

The only input your Sony has is stereo analog audio (it doesn't support ARC either). If your TV has a headphone or analog audio output you might need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug at the TV end and RCA plugs at the Sony end.
If your TV has an optical audio output (most likely) then you will need an optical audio to analog converter like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Easyday-Digital-Converter-Optical-Headphone/dp/B00NJCCAKY/ref=pd_lpo_23_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B7A40REA65HN7DSXPXR3
You may need to turn on the optical audio out, turn the TV speakers off, and set the TV to PCM stereo output in the TV menu.
You will only be able to get analog surround sound since the HTS doesn't have digital inputs. Set the HTS to Dolby Prologic when you use it with the TV.

The only input your Sony has is stereo analog audio (it doesn't support ARC either). If your TV has a headphone or analog audio output you might need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug at the TV end and RCA plugs at the Sony end.
If your TV has an optical audio output (most likely) then you will need an optical audio to analog converter like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Easyday-Digital-Converter-Optical-Headphone/dp/B00NJCCAKY/ref=pd_lpo_23_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B7A40REA65HN7DSXPXR3
You may need to turn on the optical audio out, turn the TV speakers off, and set the TV to PCM stereo output in the TV menu.
You will only be able to get analog surround sound since the HTS doesn't have digital inputs. Set the HTS to Dolby Prologic when you use it with the TV.

Les_3_

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

Hi Chris,
I had a similar problem with my Mitsubishi TV and had to buy a digital to analog converter(I got mine from Radio Shack) to get mine to work. It made no sense that a new Sony surround system would not be updated to utilize digital, but that solved the challenge for me. Good Luck!

Les

Once you drop to analog, you lost surround.

I pontificate again. Every time I see "home theater" I run as fast as possible. Systems labeled as such are usually very limited, don't play nice with others, not expandable. Honest-to-God AVR receiver is the way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 5
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
X Streaming Video & TVs 1
kaishlothon Streaming Video & TVs 4
E Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 4
S Streaming Video & TVs 1