Iwata: Sales Low Due To Boring Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]I say stop simplifying games, reducing content and taking out dimensions and replacing them with gimmicks like 'achievements', 'morality engines' and quicktime events. Bring back platformers, story driven games, FPSs with depth rather than trying to simulate the 'epic' films.GTA:IV. Not one of the best games ever, but certainly one I enjoyed and played recently. It was story driven, had many dimensions, it didn't abuse quicktime events and didn't waste time trying to be epic (admittedly at times it was tedious).Not many games achieve GTA quality, or even Half Life quality. They're stuck trying to be Halo. Halo was good, not great, but the genre of 'epics' it spawned suck.Also, Donkey Kong was awesome.[/citation]
Donkey Kong, Mario 64, Zelda etc.
All epics, even today. Were did you ever go wrong Nintendo?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I believe this guy with regards to low quality games!
Earlier this month I tried out about 10 high profile games. Not one of them was interesting enough to buy or even pirate. They sort of all fealt week or unfinished.
In fact I went and dug up my old need for speed 5 game to play instead. Even though it is a bit silly in german, it's a better game than any of the new ones I tried (including the newest gta4 thing, shattered horizon, cnc4, alien breed and others).

In fact the only game I tried in the last months without being complete disappointed was the dragon age expansion - and even that was a bit bland in comparison to the original.

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I dont know about nintendo nor i care about their games, but what they said fits the rest of the market pretty well. I mean, sure there are good games released once in awhile, but they are still not so "capturing" as some of the oldies were...imo biggest problem now is the huge price of making games look good, you need huge investment to buy/develop engine, make the graphics etc, even if you have funds/time to properly do the rest of the game - you still cant make a "risky" game, because people who invest in you wouldnt like it. Only the big game studios can do something good, because they already have funds (bioware for example with their awesome mass effect etc), but there arent too many of those...

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
[citation][nom]Christopher1[/nom]That is part of it. The only game I would say that was a 'good buy' recently was Assassin's Creed II.[/citation]
I think you may have forgot to add "/Sarcasm".

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Iwata seems to think consumers have moved on from wanting epic, over-inflated, graphically-oriented games.

Most of the gamers I know supplements/replace their movie going experience with video games - it is the Hollywood experiment of interactive movies realized.

However, look at the market. Most people in the US only want to pay around $10 to buy a 1.5-2.5 hour movie, with many choosing the even cheaper rental route instead. People don't really want to pay more than $20 for a Blu-ray movie (and still feel that too high priced, but acceptable).

So what does that mean for a game? If it can be beat in a single rental period, then perhaps it is only as good as a movie. If it has replay value, then the game value goes up.

However, many of the gamers I know typically drop out at $30 to $40 unless they think it is a really awesome need-to-have game (which tend to be in the style that Iwata labels as the "problem").

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
It's simple. Make a game that has variable difficulty, like Halo. The graphics weren't 'stellar' or anything like Crysis, or something like Dirt 2, but it was a fun and easy game to get into. Halo isn't too fast or too slow. I get frustrated everytime I attempt any version of Call of Duty. Really, would any other game last as long as Halo did? World of Warcraft, yes, although I hate that game.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, 99999 orcs vs humans and 99999 zombie games won't make me feel like buying a game.
Also Nintendo should realize that they have crappy hardware that is out-of-date and only boring games can be made for it.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
I think this image sums it up well: The State of the Video Game Industry.

Really, Cracked.com got it dead-on; people here are ranting about Nintendo sequels, but really, the big problem is those targetting the supposedly more "mature" and "more tasteful" FPS-playing crowd on the Xbox 360 and PS3. We just have constant re-hashes of Tom Clancy/Modern Warfare games. We kinda had this problem a few years back, only then, it was all World War II games, rather than modern-era shooters. And we have the perrenial "grizzled space marine vs. aliens/zombies" shooters. (bonus points if the marine's last name is "Shepard")

Iwata has a lot of truth to his words... Most developers miss the point in their games; they focus on specifics, insisting on making sure they have X bloom and Y gun done in Z manner. As a result, they miss the big picture on having a game that's fun to play and lasts. Bungie recognized this: this is why Halo games sit at the top of the console FPS pile. Everyone seeking to emulate them has failed pretty hard. In reality, making a good game can be broken down to following through with a simple plan:

1-Put in a good atmospheric or gimmick hook to draw people in.
2-Base the gameplay around well-polished, addictive mechanics.
3-Give the game enough content/replay value to capitalize on the above addictiveness.
4-Lay out content in a manner that players can select how much time they want to commit per session.

It's surprising how often developers fail on the above. They somehow think that lots of bloom will make do for #1, when in reality, even low-end graphics can do this. I'm not talking just Nintendo that makes it work; I immediately think of the 2005 game Indigo Prophecy, which in spite of the Xbox 360 being the new kid on the block, made do with PS2 graphics (and didn't give any upgrades for the Xbox or PC versions) yet still was easily one of the most alluring games ever made.

Similarly, #2 often goes way out the window; mechanics are usually done through naive idealism, yielding contrived systems that make many players ask if the developers bothered to even test the game.

#3 is a major failing of most top-shelf titles; they spend all their development budget on flashy effects, and leave too little substance to merit buying instead of renting over the weekend. (or even overnight!) Multiplayer can be a quick fix, but only if #2 is done well.

#4 is a tricky one as well... Though often enough, usually done pretty decently; frequent checkpoints, and the short duration of multiplayer matches allow for players to easily select how long they play at a time. The main issue is making the transition from one "chunk" of play to the next smooth.

[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Also Nintendo should realize that they have crappy hardware that is out-of-date and only boring games can be made for it.[/citation]
This sort of graphics argument never ceases to amaze me. I mean, seriously... If the Wii's "not powerful enough for an interesting game," then what about the Playstation 2? I suppose all of its ~2,000 games are "boring," because it just plain isn't powerful enough?

No, the answer is that some people are a strange form of graphics whore, and whatever console they're told is "latest and greatest" is all that's enough... Even though it lags badly behind PC capabilities, and it'll be completely obsoleted by the next console soon enough anyway.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
nottheking's points are all good.
I'm 50. Yeah, sometimes on a weekend I can play games much of a day, but most often I can't any more. Being able to cut up gaming time into variable-sized chunks is important, as is replayability. I don't have time to constantly learn new games, and new mechanics. I still play a lot of Guild Wars and even older titles like Diablo II. And, I play casual games, like Mah Jongg or Bejeweled because they are quick and easy. Add a standard (or at least intuitive) interface (like WASD for movement) to the list of important characteristics.

prrrowr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
A good game for me is probably something I would still pick up and play even after its story or campaign mode has ended - simply because the depth of gameplay is... deep. A lot of games give you no sense of purpose other than to run around a barren map, compelling you to do nothing but twitch your trigger finger because that is all it will allow you to accomplish.

I agree Red Dead Redemption is still fun after the story is done and even after the 100% completion is achieved.

Mass Effect not so much. You just collect things in crates, shoot enemies, and raise boring statistics.

Patapon, now that's something with ultimate replay value.

mhutt

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
For me I am not ready to update a machine just for a better graphics experience. If it's a really good game I might.
So I'm still playing bf2 (fh2) after at least 3 years.

Also I can get a new game experience by buying an old game, but new to me (cod4).

With a lot of FPS games, the fun is playing against real-ish people.
Newer games do not seem to improve on the old always, so why buy a newer game.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I was excited about about the new Goldeneye, since 90's-style FPSs are novel and innovative at this point. Then I found out about the cover system, and regenerating health. Interest drops to zero.

I thought "what the happened to Nintendo, following along with this stupid industry trend.. oh wait, Activision is making it".

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
+1 for boring games:

I just don't understand why people pay 60 $ for games that 50% of the game are great cinematic and only 50% game play....

and considering that most games are just bashing repetitive on enemies:

almost no interaction with environment, so many useless skills and abilities...

but grats to crysis, FEAR, R6 vegasà, to name a few that still keep some interest alive.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I just played Red Dead Redemption and also picked up Mount and Blade: Warband, Metro 2033 (%50 off) and Bioshock 2 for $15.

All are flippin fantastic, will provide hours on end of gameply and are not on Nintendo. Maybe not brand new releases but all are "pretty" new.

Rockstar just went above and beyond with RDR, that game is fantastic all around imo.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Sales are low because most game makers are making the same games, just with different names on the outside package. I'm an true to RPG'er that enjoys the LAN based experience with family and friends. Well, they don't exist anymore. If I want to buy a game that is a FPS/RPG/RTS combo I can get about a million of em though.... Or I can go and be force to play with a million people I don't care about on an MMO.... It's time to get back to basics, then create something new with them, not just meld all forms and call it new.

G

I am a huge fan of tactical shooters (from the first Rainbow 6 on through the original Ghost Recon). I could remember hours of planning in R6 and hours with all official expansions and mods of GR.
I was VERY disappointed from what followed after R6 Lockdown and the culmination was with the GR Future Soldier. I mean it looks now as a funny mixture of CoD4 and Crysis. The genre is dead, most unfortunately...

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Hearts of Iron 3, Batman Arkham Asylum and ArmA 2 are some of the games I enjoyed playing in the last 12 months, each for at least 40 hours. I've been playing computer games since the late eighties and games have never been better... at least on the PC.[/citation]

Of those I own DA, ME2, FO3 and HoI3... and while I don't regret any of them, how on earth do you get HoI3 to run at a decent pace? I have a top-notch gaming rig and that thing crawls for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.