Jamming cell cameras

vrmherr

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I was videoing a assault , had 4 iPhones recording with the camera, the video on all the phones were stopped at the time of the assault and one phone was shut down saying " files deleted" and recording started again on 3 phones after the assault. My question is what device were the person using to do this?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The likelihood of a law enforcement official having such a jamming device is so remote, that it really isn't worth pursuing.

How were the 4 iPhones being controlled at the time of the incident? Are all of them using the same service provider?

vrmherr

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
However remote the possibility , it happened and I have searched every resource I can think of to find out what device was used to no solutions. The Faa tells me it sounds like a " stinger" and yes all phones had the same provider. One interesting fact about this is I sent my phones to a forensic investigator and he said nothing happened on the date I said it happened but 24 hours later he could confirm they were jammed. And this did not help me.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What evidence did the forensic investigator show you to confirm a jammer/stinger was used? Keep in mind that jamming a cell signal has nothing to do with the camera function on the phone. You are describing a short term, hostile takeover (remote access) of 4 devices, simultaneously. This is not something that law enforcement officers have at their personal disposal.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Cell phone jammers are common. That doesn't mean one was used against you, and such a jammer would not have affected the camera on your iPhones, only the ability to send/receive comms.

How were the 4 iPhones controlled at the time of the incident? Was each phone held by one person and all pressed the record button? Or was it one person (you) starting the record function?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Law enforcement certainly can't access just any device either. Just something to be aware of (and widely known since the iPhone/shooter debacle in California a couple years ago).

USAFRet

Illustrious

The FAA?
What do they have to do with this?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is this "gift" from Apple, but I can't imagine how this could be used easily in a mobile environment. It would require some planning and setup.

I am sure, if in the hands of law enforcement, that orgs like the ACLU would be all over the airwaves/cyberspace espousing the egregious use of technology to not hold law enforcement accountable for their actions.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/06/28/apple-patent-infra-red-block-photos/

vrmherr

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
All four were held by different people, the one that shut down was 5 feet away the other 3 were in the range of 10-15 feet away, I don't know what device they used but it made them not record and resume recording after the assault the man was carrying a umbrella with what looked like a button on the end and was pointing it at our direction

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Now you are describing something from a James Bond/Kingsman movie. Not giving you a hard time, but this just doesn't pass any sort of common sense test. Try the website I linked earlier, maybe those guys know something the rest of us don't.

vrmherr

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I am aware of this, I don't believe this is what was used because I've never read anything that says it can actually shut off a phone and restart it, they are using something that is not readily available to the public, I believe

vrmherr

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
No , they were recording for 5 minutes before this happened and again all 3 phones are missing the exact same footage it is not human error . The 4 th phone is missing different footage than the other 3 because it was shut off