mattmattmatt

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I am trying to launch a company chat client for my work (I work at home on my home PC), and it is Java based. Well I get an error that says:

System Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

It tells me I can click ok to restart the application but it is like a loop. After I try to log in, it just gives me the same error. I have reinstalled Java already, and no fix. I also tried to access the same chat client from my wife's laptop and it works fine. So I'm not sure what the issue is or how to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?

mattmattmatt

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

They basically just tell me that I need to contact a local PC tech or something. In otherwords, they said it's coming with java or my PC. If there's a bug in the program, why would it work on another PC and not mine?

Ijack

Distinguished
Because no two computers are the same, and the program has evidently been insufficiently tested. Perhaps you are running 64-bit Windows and your wife's laptop is 32-bit; or perhaps they are running different versions of Windows.

The error shows that Java is installed and working on your computer but there is a problem with this particular program.

Your IT staff tell you to contact a local PC Tech? What on earth are they paid for?

mattmattmatt

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, because my Java hasn't been updated since way before it stopped working. At first they tried to say it was a java update that may have caused it. Once I ruled that out, they told me to reinstall java, which I did and still a no go. So that's when they said it was my PC and not the actual application.