Java for Android tablets(honeycomb)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Way to fall for and perpetuate that propaganda from the pro-Apple media. That story was completely irresponsible and without merit.

For an actual answer to the OP's question, no Android does not "have" Java. It runs on an underlying Virtual Machine Google named Dalvik, which is similar to Java, but executes code differently.

What this means is Android does not natively run Java code (and barring a major sea change it never will officially. There have been some efforts in the non-official Android dev community to...

tomsresults

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

Way to fall for and perpetuate that propaganda from the pro-Apple media. That story was completely irresponsible and without merit.

For an actual answer to the OP's question, no Android does not "have" Java. It runs on an underlying Virtual Machine Google named Dalvik, which is similar to Java, but executes code differently.

What this means is Android does not natively run Java code (and barring a major sea change it never will officially. There have been some efforts in the non-official Android dev community to integate true Java into Android).

So if you're thinking can I drop my Java games on there and will they work, the answer is no. The same is true for websites that use Java code, they will not run on Android browser. There is a lot of marketing form Android-equipped device manufacturers about providing a "full" web experience because of Android's Flash support, but that ignores the Java issue. IMO until these mobile OS'es can support the full web as-is no code changes, no need to re-jigger the content to the platform by the content providers, they can never be computer replacements.

BTW, there is a tool from Google which lets you recompile Java code into Dalvik friendly files. I used it to get a Java chat client running on an Android phone.

Solution

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Okay thanks man... that's just what I was looking for, I am however curious how desktops ad laptops run java in websites? Or are they run by java? And why exactly can you not just 'Download a java app'?

GinK

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

I called Verizon and they said Java was not installed. Did you install it yet? If, so how did you do it. I need it also for my motorola xoom

jeremiah reese

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Apparently you cannot get Java on android tablets unless you got some kind of jail break, not sure if anyone has made a jailbreak that allows you to run java anyway

Jamaan

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Could be please, explain more about this tool from Google? And how did you mange to run a Java applet on an Android-based phone?

Kiers

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008

BLOODY HELL! I just spend $600 on my FIRST android device (a Sam Galaxy Tab 10) and find my Java Jar progs are USELESS! And the media never really told me about it beforehand! WTF kind of tech market is the world running. It is now par for the course to buy tech and find you bought junk b/c no one had a PhD to explain the "specs" properly.
And here i thought i was one-upping apple due to presence of Flash! What a crock. I'm floored.....

CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A GOOD LINK TO THAT CROSS COMPILER TO DALVIK PLEASE. THANKS

GodfreyMcGod

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

If java was so important then shouldn't you have checked sites like the asker in order to find out beforehand whether or not your 600 dollar product supported it. There are some third party tablets which have full OS'es. (which, of course, entails java).

tpgettys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Ain't hindsight great?! The problem here is that every tablet manufacturer says their devices are fully internet-capable, so the assumption of java-compliance isn't just reasonable, it is implicit in the claim. Unfortunately they lied about being able to fully access the WWW.

I am curious which tablets have "full" OS's, as you claim. It would be very welcome news to find any that can actually run java applets!

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005

http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html
Android includes a set of core libraries that provides most of the functionality available in the core libraries of the Java programming language.

Every Android application runs in its own process, with its own instance of the Dalvik virtual machine. Dalvik has been written so that a device can run multiple VMs efficiently. The Dalvik VM executes files in the Dalvik Executable (.dex) format which is optimized for minimal memory footprint. The VM is register-based, and runs classes compiled by a Java language compiler that have been transformed into the .dex format by the included "dx" tool.

The Dalvik VM relies on the Linux kernel for underlying functionality such as threading and low-level memory management.

cowboy23

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello,
I have been searching for the answer to this question for some time now and have been met time and time again by somebody attempting to redirect me to an application download that has no pertinance to what I was looking for.

I guess when enough people have a common problem the market sharks try to take advantage.

Not the news about Java I was hoping for but bad news is better than false news. Thanks for the honest tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.