JBL monitor speakers connectin to PC

manofpeck

Estimable
May 14, 2014
Afternoon all,

I hope I've put this in the right section but am looking for assistance with correct connection of my moniors to computer.
I have just bought a new PC and (separately) a pair of JBL LSR305 monitor speakers.
After some fun with connections, I have them working and coming out crystal clear
The only issue is because the PC has one line out (has surround outs also) I have both monitors connected via a conector to run them both from that single line out.
When I have my volume control (realtek) panned in the middle, the speakers miss out a whole load of low frequency. When I move pan to full left or right, I then get full sound out of both.
What do I need to do to "Split" (if thats the right terminology) the single line out sound to give proper L and R on my monitors?
Is this audio interface territory? Am I not using the right split from line out?

Just hoping someone may have the solution/answer to this.

Please treat thread and its writer like a total tech nub, for that is what I am.

ASny help is MUCH appreciated

Regards

Manofpeck

Eduello

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Go to control panel>sound>playback devices. Right click on speakers and select properties. Go to the 'enhancements'-tab and select 'equalizer' (make sure to tick the box next to the word).

You should be able to select between some default profiles, but click the button with three dots and a manual equalizer should pop up. Crank up the bass as much as you want to and click 'save'.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
The adaptor that you are using to plug into the PC is stereo isnt it?
It should be a 3.5mm stereo jack (3 pole ) to (probably) two 1/4" jacks.
Also go into the Realtek sound manager and make sure its setup for stereo speakers you can then click on the speakers to check they are getting left and right.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
if the bass only sounds good when panned either left or right but not when in the centre, it sounds like your speakers are 180 degrees out of phase. check your wiring, reverse a +/- wire to one speaker to correct the phase.
Can you be more specific how you have connected them. you should have a stereo 1.5 connector which splits out into two separate mono conectors of your choice. 3.5 > l/r rca is a common adaptor, you would then need converters from the rca connectors to the type on your monitors.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/310943745161?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107 i found this cable that would do the trick perfectly.

manofpeck

Estimable
May 14, 2014
peeps, thanks so much for the replies.

Can you explain the re-wiring thing again? Ive not come across that solution before, but tbh cant see how that would affect the below connections.

If memory serves correct, I have quarter inch jack adaptors coming from the monitors into a minijack cable.
Both cables coming from each speaker are then connected to a double minjack adaptor which then goes into line out on my pc.

Please let me know if you need more info on that =]

That link for the cable on Ebay looks perfect though... balanced XLR to minijack! Would that solve my issues?

AM I barking up the wrong tree regarding audio interface? Ive seen pics online and it seems I can just plug that in and then connect my monitors to the L/R section on that.

Again, thanks all its really helping!

To the other peoples replies. I played around with Realtek and its defintely set up as correct as it can be.

manofpeck

Estimable
May 14, 2014
Realtek speaker icons, play on both speakers when testing. works fine in full frequency.
when you play music through it u then get the panning issues.
Full L or R to get the full sound running out of both.
I had a knowledegable friend access my PC to assist me and he came up stumped as to why its doing this.
OUr logical conclusion was interface to split L & R signal

makkem

Distinguished
I dont really know what you mean by interface,the line out on the PC gives a separate left and right signal through the 3.5mm jack,tip left,ring right ,sleeve ground.
As mentioned above it could be a phase error with one speakers connection reversed,that xlr cable linked to above would probably sort your problem as it would be wired correctly.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished

So when you have it panned to either L or R, sound is coming from both speakers correctly? it's defo a problem somewhere with the splitters or wiring your using. i say just get the correct cable and be done with it.
I think the problem is the quarter inch adaptors and mini adaptor you spoke of, are they Stereo adaptors? (have 2 black lines on any of the connectors) rather than mono adaptors?(1 black line on the connector). Every connector/adaptor should be mono until it splits into the single stareo adaptor/cable that goes to your sound cards line out.

When one speaker is out of phase with the other you will get a cancellation of bass when both speakers are playing but not one at a time. It also won't give you a center image so sound that is meant to come from the center point between the speakers seems diffused. The plus and minus connections are reversed for one speaker. Play a recording with a strong kick drum and you will see that the woofers move out of sync. The one that is moving in when the kick plays out is out of phase.
You will have to reverse the plus and minus for that speaker somewhere in the wiring.
You can check the wiring with an ohmmeter to see where it occurs.

manofpeck

Estimable
May 14, 2014
Guys, thank you for all the great answers.
Iam2thecrowe, thanks for the link to the lead. Sorted the probelm PERFECTLY!!!!!

I can pan with pleasure now.... thanks again everyone.

Stoked its sorted