Jointech Introduces $125 Netbook -- Cheap Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Now this sounds more like what K-6 or K-8 schools should be using when trying to put computer technology in their users hands.

I know, most will say its way underpowered and why would you ever want something so limited... simple - at the cost of about 1-2 text books, it is something that can be easily replaced and within tight budgets.

My vision of a classroom? Internet access in a world where free eTextbooks are standard, and where a student too afraid to ask a question can IM the teacher instead.

This also could be good for community outreach programs to put computer technology into the hands of those unable to afford it.

G

ARM9? seems to slow for a computer. My Nspire runs with an ARM 9.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
So it's a PDA with a keyboard.

[citation][nom]Diegoasas[/nom]ARM9? seems to slow for a computer. My Nspire runs with an ARM 9.[/citation]
That's not impossible. I used to bullseye Womp Rats with my Geode LX 700 back home, they're not much faster than 400MHz.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This is a step in the right direction. Why should schools or parents pay $800+ for a laptop that might get stolen or destroyed by some young students who constantly loose books?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I wonder if that arm9 processor is fast enough to run a metaframe client ? If so it'd be perfect for us!

I work at a collage like place, and in an effort to get the budget to meet reality we've started offering an alternative to the last year at normal school. In those classes we're using inexpensive hp notebooks, but I have to admit even those are very much more expensive than this offering.

If these arm based mashines can run a metaframe client @ 800x600 or even 1024x768 I'm more than sure we could use them :)

All they need is a draft-n supporting wifi adapter and we'd have no worries at all. (all 12 addresses are covered with meru boxes making wireless as reliable as cabled network)

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
It is always about the software. The problem is the number of software written for Windows CE is small compared to x86 linux or Windows. I'm sure by next year or 2010 we will see low end intel atom processor netbooks run for about $200.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]pug_s[/nom]It is always about the software. The problem is the number of software written for Windows CE is small compared to x86 linux or Windows. I'm sure by next year or 2010 we will see low end intel atom processor netbooks run for about $200.[/citation]
They almost do really. An aspire one 150 costs less than 250€ if you don't include any taxes. And it's the 'top model' from acer.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
How much would this cost w/o windows? 25$ ? Plus with open source, you could compile many things to work with it instead of just a few CE apps.

gooberhead

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
But WHERE THE FRICK CAN WE *BUY* THEM?!?!?!? That's the part EVERYBODY is leaving out. Blah blah, this is available; blah blah, this is great, but NOTHING about where to buy the FRIKKERS. dOH?

Status
Not open for further replies.