Judge Banning ''John Doe'' File-Sharing Lawsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Agreed, still don't expect any more for a long time, the system only gets better in very small increments (if at all).

G

The precedent that common sense and rational argument can be effective in court? Yeah, don't want that catching on...

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]Great, IP addresses just became a powerful alias. Heres to thieves and criminals getting away with more crap.[/citation]
Don't worry, the police have other resources. This is just for lawsuits.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Do be hate'n. I know how all those people are having such a hard time getting by and all. (yeah, right!) Maybe if it did not cost like $15 for a movie ticket, $5 for popcorn, $4 for a drink and $4 a gallon for gas more people would just go see the movie in the theater.

G

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Go after the real pirates in this game: The groups that are releasing the material, not the college punks downloading a movie....[/citation]

Nah. Go after Johnny Depp. He's a practicing pirate.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Do be hate'n. I know how all those people are having such a hard time getting by and all. (yeah, right!) Maybe if it did not cost like $15 for a movie ticket, $5 for popcorn, $4 for a drink and $4 a gallon for gas more people would just go see the movie in the theater.[/citation]
They would go to the movies watch "Cowgirl Creampie"? Don´t make me laugh!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]They would go to the movies watch "Cowgirl Creampie"? Don´t make me laugh![/citation]

i would

and for me the cost to drive to the nearest good theater costs more than going to a movie (about 18$ to drive there and back, about 11 $ to see the movie, i sneak my own food in)

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i wouldand for me the cost to drive to the nearest good theater costs more than going to a movie (about 18$ to drive there and back, about 11 $ to see the movie, i sneak my own food in)[/citation]
So you're a smuggler!
You know who else is a smuggler?
Han Solo
Therefore, smugglers are awesome. So are pirates. And so are ninjas.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]Great, IP addresses just became a powerful alias. Heres to thieves and criminals getting away with more crap.[/citation]
You make me ashamed of being human.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hope this precedent sticks.

Disclaimer: I don't think downloading copyrighted material is good. Most people I know feel bad whenever they do it. However, the law as it stands right now is pretty stupid.

Companies/Government really just needs to focus on finding the people profiting off of others intellectual property. Companies can easily protect their material against a vast majority of "piracy" and common infringement by hiring some software engineers to work out licensing / limited copies / security protocols.

P2P sharing is like putting a lemonade in my refrigerator on a summer day with a note on the back of the container that says "Drinking this is illegal but we'll probably never know about it. You might have to pay for 1,000,000x the cost of this drink if you are caught in violation of this policy."

Anyone who is moderately competent with computers knows how easy it is to find anything on the internet. Forgetting the dumb analogy, I can accept that this is a moral grey area, but I really think companies should be at least responsible enough to TRY to protect their intellectual property. And if they don't even try, they shouldn't be complaining and suing the schmucks downloading the new Gaga album for 60$k a song.

G

$5 dolars for a gallon of ga thats quite cheap considering its £1.40 and upwards for a litre here in the uk. yeah have it easy

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I agree with the decision. Due to the initial difficulty in determining who downloaded the file it would waste taxpayer money and possibly cause innocent people embarasment since many downloaders use other peoples network. Having said this you should still stay away from downloading illeagal material. If the authorities get physical possesion of your pc they can tell wher you''ve been.

Status
Not open for further replies.