Judge: Google Wi-Fi Snooping ''Not An Accident''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]not a good comparision...google is looking in your door going "wow nice TV, and walking off" and people are pissed that they looked thru the open door.[/citation]

Maybe, but accessing a non secure network is still the equivalent to trespassing. I don't want people walking up to my house and peering into my door or window.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]Maybe, but accessing a non secure network is still the equivalent to trespassing. I don't want people walking up to my house and peering into my door or window.[/citation]
how so? its more like sunbathing nude in your front yard at the edge of the road without a privacy fence, and yelling at people "stop staring at me, its an invasion of privacy!". then getting upset you found pics of you doing it on a forum somewhere..

better comparison, leaving your garage open, and people driving by noticing you have a set of golf clubs..then wondering why everyone that lives near you knows you play golf.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]Maybe, but accessing a non secure network is still the equivalent to trespassing. I don't want people walking up to my house and peering into my door or window.[/citation]
or even better yet...how is it trespassing by me driving by and seeing that TV thru the door you left wide open?

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]WR2[/nom]Google might have had an idea to link in public hot-spots to GoogleMaps and StreetView sometime in the future and ended up catching a lot of non-secure private rigs as well.[/citation]
that's what they keep telling people all along..but no one believes them.
fantasy is more compelling than reality to some. you cant cause a stink if you have nothing to fan the stench off of.

tell the truth they call you a liar, tell a lie, they say its a coverup.

G

"User locations are determined by intercepting data" - yes, by intercepting data your clients BROADCAST over the AIR without encryption. It's like complaining that somebody "eavesdropped" on a conversation you've conducted with the neighbor across the street by yelling into megaphones.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]or we can jump on the "belittle those that belittle the over the top naysayers[/citation]

Isn't that what you're doing now? Talk about pot - kettle. Good lord you're blind to your own hypocrisy.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]not a good comparision...google is looking in your door going "wow nice TV, and walking off" and people are pissed that they looked thru the open door.[/citation]
Actually in the USA if there is a show on the TV it is a public performance broadcast and the RIAA/MPAA require separate license fees for that. With WiFi, access points are always broadcasting. I'm surprised that nobody has sued their neighbors due to cancer caused by exposure to RF transmissions (and juries don't base their decisions on physics, biology, or common sense either).

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]candrwhite[/nom]Isn't that what you're doing now? Talk about pot - kettle. Good lord you're blind to your own hypocrisy.[/citation]
never said I wasn't hypocritical, or biased in my own opinions.
I admit I'm vain, egotistical, and cynical.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Companies are getting so ridiculously aggressive with "marketing research" anymore. The marketing jackals will do anything it takes to figure out what kind of soda you drink or what size your pants are, just so they can crunch some numbers and justify their sorry excuse for a career. All those business specific/savings cards that businesses insist you use to save are tracking everything you buy. Google just slipped up with concealing their market research is all. It isn't illegal, it is immoral, and they aren't the only people to do it to you.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]CoderDunn[/nom]Not that I'm sticking up for google, but people need to learn how to set up security on their routers.[/citation]

Well not locking my door does not make people coming in stealing my stuffs legal.

Not locking my front door does not make my house a public place either.

G

"So does Google qualify for "evil" or is it still a "good guy"?"

Obviously that's down to personal interpretation.

I won't speculate in whether or not the payload data was intentionally gathered or not. All I know that it happened and that Google admitted to it, officially apologized for it and requested third party input on how to deal with the situation.

That's a lot better handled than any company I can think of, regardless of whether they're 'guilty' or not.

Sadly it seems likely that the 'third party input' is going to be a far worse invasion of privacy than the initial gathering of payload data ever was.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Even if the data collection was fully intentional, I fail to see what damage Google has caused those wifi hot spots all over the country.

This is nothing but a large target for lawyers to make money from.

CoderDunn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Well not locking my door does not make people coming in stealing my stuffs legal.Not locking my front door does not make my house a public place either.[/citation]
I never said what google did was legal. If your dumb enough to always leave your house unlocked, don't be surprised if someone comes and takes your stuff.

The_One_and_Only

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Ok the whole driving by the open door example is the best One so far. Everyone that i see disagreeing with this has tried to claim stealing. How can you steal what is given freely, intentionally or not? If I water my yard and some of the water is running off into the gutter is the utility company stealing from me? NO I am responsible for how the network was set up. What if I was on top of my roof pouring a giant sack of flour into the wind and you came walking by and got covered in it, can I claim you stole my flour? I can go all day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.