Judge: Google Wi-Fi Snooping ''Not An Accident''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I would normally say that any lawsuit that results from this would be frivolous, but it's Google, so it's okay. I hate those fuckers.

In a few years, when they become the new Apple, I'll be laughing my ass off at the losers who thought that Google was nothing but a benevolent company.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
In addition; Leaving wifi open isn't the same as leaving your doors unlocked, it's more like leaving your curtains open. What Google did was more akin to accidentally filming the inside of your house when it was passing in it's street view car... which it did do to many many people.

Leaving your door unlocked is more like leaving your wireless un-encrpyted AND having no firewall or security. Wireless isn't a lock, it's more like a smokescreen.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Does anyone actually care? I am broadcasting my SSID, so I guess anyone driving by could pick it up. No different than me standing naked in the window. If you don't want someone to see/know your business, then don't advertise.

So Google found my wireless router...can someone please explain why I should really care?

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I dont see what the big deal is, personally.

I could walk around town finding and plotting open networks myself. Its not a violation of privacy or "snooping". It is similiar to walking around town and making note of which houses have two car garages.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Im fairly certain that there is an FCC regulation in the US that says any signal that is transmitted can be received. So if you have an unencrypted wifi transmitter, your SOL if anyone listens in. Turn on encryption or your fair game.

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004
Google can and I would think does collect FAR more data about people and their habits, systems, locations, etc. from online activities than from a little snippet of open Wi-Fi data. It seems pointless to me for Google to gather this intentionally. The SSID or MAC address may be useful but a little bit of data is not. They may have intentionally gathered this or they may have not. Given that all things being equal the simplest answer is usually the correct one, I am betting this is unintentional. I also don't think this specific issue has any real bearing on whether or not Google is 'evil'.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I'm sorry but if you're to stupid to secure your crap that's your own fault. It's not like leaving your house unlocked, and somebody breaking into it. The signal doesn't just stop outside your yard. If somebody drives down the road snags your signal, and records it.. 100% YOUR FAULT!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]I'm sorry but if you're to stupid to secure your crap that's your own fault. It's not like leaving your house unlocked, and somebody breaking into it. The signal doesn't just stop outside your yard. If somebody drives down the road snags your signal, and records it.. 100% YOUR FAULT![/citation]
Ok, so if I leave my house open any company can announce/use this fact in its own products.

But could you elaborate the "oh, we didn't know we were doing it" in Google's previous statement? I mean why did they deny doing something, which wasn't even "bad", since "bad" is the guy, who didn't secure his network?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]TH[/nom]It seems pointless to me for Google to gather this intentionally.[/citation]
They "unintentionally" modified executables and then "unintentionally" gathered gazillions of gigabytes of traffic. Right.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]killallthelawyers[/nom]"User locations are determined by intercepting data" - yes, by intercepting data your clients BROADCAST over the AIR without encryption. It's like complaining that somebody "eavesdropped" on a conversation you've conducted with the neighbor across the street by yelling into megaphones.[/citation]

This guy got it right. Everyone else needs to drop the argument and look at the facts. Google is collecting open data just like anyone else can. The ethics of the situation are off but then again if you don't want people to grab your info you should of used encryption in the first place. I wonder if this will eventually lead to a wifi law being passed here in the states?

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
OK I was reading this. Don't you all know that Company are out to get you and your money. Google don't care abut us, but also apple, microsoft, and IBM don't care abut you. They do care abut your money.
OH so you know. I'll beat you in the street if you steal 2 sec of my data. Like I will beat you for walking in my open door at my house. If you invalid my space, you will find out that we all have an option abut space. So you keep defending the ppl that don't care if your alive or dead. They love it

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This lawyer is an idiot. Google has never done anything malicious. Besides, even if Google had intentionally gotten people's personal info then it's their own fault for using unsecured wifi. If there really are laws prohibiting what Google did, they are even dumber than the law in Oregon that prohibits the average joe from pumping their own gas.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]leafman420[/nom]OK I was reading this. Don't you all know that Company are out to get you and your money[/citation]

I love the fact that your name is leafman and you're this paranoid.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think everyone can agree that what Google did here was wrong mistake or not. They don't have some evil plans either way but if it was intentional then it was likely aimed towards collecting data to analyze to and use such for marketing purposes by trying to see trends they are unaware of.

But I highly doubt it was intentional getting caught would be way too risky. Stealing data is invasion of privacy and perhaps other crimes added this would be X'ed by the number of networks they got into as well.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]not a good comparision...google is looking in your door going "wow nice TV, and walking off" and people are pissed that they looked thru the open door.[/citation]

I'd say it's more like looking through your door and recording your address info for future reference. They did take and store the info, don't forget.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]I'd say it's more like looking through your door and recording your address info for future reference. They did take and store the info, don't forget.[/citation]

People are taking personal offense by liking this to some peeping tom. It's more like you are grilling in the back yard and the driver noted the spot he smelled burgers and another spot where he smelled steak.

They don't know for certain which house that signal came from, they didn't drive up your drive way, they drove past your house on the public street.

I can pick up at least 10 signals on any day while walking from one end of my block to the other using my cell phone.

Has Google published this information? Would publishing or using this data prove to be damaging to anyone who chose to keep their wifi unsecured or SSID broadcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.