Judge: Google Wi-Fi Snooping ''Not An Accident''

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
haven't ISPs been doing this for years? ya know when your browser pops up saying "non secure data sent may be visible by other parties..."

your ISP is that other party. don't think that this information isnt' being analyzed. this isn't a new practice, people...

so Google is trying to collect data in order to sell to advertisers or more effectively target their advertisements. talk about a surprise.

that said, any time someone denies something, only to admit it later spells trouble. they shoulda just rode around saying that non secure data would be collected; then made a gargantuan list of the mac addresses or SSIDs by area of non secure access points as a public service to advance the awareness of wireless security issues!

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]dotaloc[/nom]non secure data sent may be visible by other parties...[/citation]

This is your browser warning about a secure (HTTPS) page with insecure (HTTP) portions. If Google was driving by as you were on an non-secure web site AND their car was picking up the frequency your wifi uses as you downloaded a page then they may have caught a portion of packets associated with that download activity.

It's more likely the World of Warcraft traffic out-strips any email or other more sensitive user information.

If these lawyers didn't start these lawsuits then Google could delete the data and there would be no lasting problem. At this point Google is going through a process to collect and preserve/protect the data for possible use in litigation which subjects the data to more exposure rather than less exposure.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Well not locking my door does not make people coming in stealing my stuffs legal.Not locking my front door does not make my house a public place either.[/citation]
Routers are ALWAYS broadcasting, they are created and setup to do it, it's not breaking in, it's not stealing, it is Wireless devices doing what they are programmed and created for. If you leave your router completely open how can you blame anyone for connecting to it at all?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]Let the fanatic google doomsayers begin.be warned...to follow this comment will be over reaction comments of google is an evil overlord, they are taking over the world, and they are stealing your babies to search index them..so quick jump on the "I hate google TOO!" bandwagon with the others.[/citation]

If it was Apple I would join that bandwagon. But it aint.

[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]Maybe, but accessing a non secure network is still the equivalent to trespassing. I don't want people walking up to my house and peering into my door or window.[/citation]

No its not. The signal isnt confined to your property. Its like having a private conversation on your front lawn and whining because the neighbor heard you.

Secure it or live with the consequences.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Routers are ALWAYS broadcasting, they are created and setup to do it, it's not breaking in, it's not stealing, it is Wireless devices doing what they are programmed and created for. If you leave your router completely open how can you blame anyone for connecting to it at all?[/citation]

Do you really use a router? lol

/facepalm yourself.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Do you really use a router? lol/facepalm yourself.[/citation]

Just because you disagree with the use of the term "Router" to describe home networking devices doesn't make you right. The home router does what a router is supposed to do. Connects multiple IP devices on one network (home) with another network (internet).

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]Just because you disagree with the use of the term "Router" to describe home networking devices doesn't make you right. The home router does what a router is supposed to do. Connects multiple IP devices on one network (home) with another network (internet).[/citation]

Because Im a network admin means im right.

I meant that using a router instead of a switch is ridiculous for home networking.

meonthenet

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
For Google to claim they downloaded payload data by accident is so ridiculous its not even funny.

Any one who as even coded one line of computer code in their life knows that programs with mistakes don't do anything. They crash your system and thats about it.

To write code that will attach to a Wi-Fi network and down load data reliably take rigorous testing to work at all. And we are to believe Google didn't notice in the tests that all that extra data was being stored.

Common wake up. Recording data from an open wi-fi is the same as recording a phone conversation that you are not party too. It's wire tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.