Just want one pair of self-powered speakers, with zero interference

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I just want a pair of stereo speakers for my computer that are completely shielded from noise. I.e., I don't want any sound coming out of them unless my computer is sending an audio signal out its stereo or optical port.

I don't care about sound quality. I don't want a subwoofer or surround. I just want quiet. I have tried a plethora of speakers and every one emits some slight hum or buzz when powered on -- even when not connected to the computer's audio out.

Are there any options that can guarantee me zero noise, or that are more likely than average to deliver it?

Solution
soundcards from asus seem to be the hot pick nowdays. i used to use soundblaster however i've heard they arent so great anymore. sorry i dont use a soundcard anymore so i cant give you specific examples of what works good and what doesnt. i jumped off the soundcard boat years ago and everything is processed by an external DAC (my receiver)

potential cards:
the asus xonar dgx is only $25 with MIR right now. the next step up would be the xonor ds which is $43. they get average reviews. the cheaper one is better than the cheapest onboard sound but on par with decent onboard. the more expensive one is just a tad better than onboard sound. any slot card should have a bit less noise than onboard sound though...
it would help if you list a budget as well as what speakers you have tried already.

also realize that the issue might not be with the speakers (i'm not saying that it is not, only that it might not be)

read this article about ground loops:
http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

have you tried the speaker systems at a different location (at a different house, in a store, etcetera) ?

i would first verify that its a speaker problem and not a power problem because if its a power problem no amount of buying different speakers will do alot of good.

please test and respond.

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

The cheaper the better. The only performance criterion is no noise.

I've tried Harmon-Kardon HK195 and various Dell DC and USB-powered pairs that don't seem to have model numbers.

As I understand it anything powered by a DC transformer should be immune to ground loops, right? That would be every speaker I've tried.

Note also that these are only connected to a PC, not part of a general A/V system or even near any coaxial TV cables.

In any case I'm assuming it's an interference problem because the nature and loudness of the noise varies with the location and orientation of the speakers. E.g., if I move them closer to my monitor or rotate them 90 degrees it can go from a whisper to a buzz.

no, its not immune to a loop. speaker buzz pops up here and there as a question once in awhile and while sometimes its a crappy soundcard they buzz even when you arent connected up to the pc (or so you said). before we assume anything... we need to really try to get to the bottom of what the issue is being caused by which is why we need to do tests.

have you tried plugging your speakers in to a different power outlet (i would suggest one not even on the same breaker) as the one the computer uses? please try this (you might need an extension cord to try this). this isnt a permanent fix, only a test.

please report back the results.

also note if the speaker systems you used all had ground pins on their plugs or if they were two prong only.

i would also say to move them to a different room and plug them into an ipod, phone or some 3.5mm source not connected to AC and see if they buzz.

again, respond back with results.

oh.. you may also want to note where you have both devices plugged in (same outlet, a 3 way splitter into one outlet, a ups, etc)

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I have two circuits available in this office. One is a direct 20A run to the main service panel, and the only connected device is a multifunction laser printer. The other is a shared 15A, with all computer equipment running through a CyberPower UPS. I also tested an isolated 20A circuit.

Like I said, all my cheap speakers play significant noise when switched to typical volume, regardless of where they're powered, and even without connecting them to a source.

I brought up an Acoustic Research ARS35i-A (iPod speaker) which runs on 10V DC. At full volume the noise level is almost imperceptible on any of the power circuits: I have to put my ear right next to the speaker, and it sounds like a mixture of white noise and a faint whine in the range of 2600-2950hz. When I connect the line in to the computer a more significant hum about 123hz is added to the noise. I'd like to get rid of that hum, but this is far better than any of the other speakers, so if I could get a pair that did not exceed the AR's noise level I'd be reasonably happy.

UPDATE: Actually, the ~120hz hum is still annoying, but obviously that's a signal problem, so if you can point me to a good forum for addressing that I would greatly appreciate it!

as for the buzz/hum/interference from the computer jack.. thats an easy one to answer. its not uncommon for onboard sound to be rather hit or miss and being on the motherboard introduces alot of noise if things arent shielded correctly. some onboard soundcards seem to be fine while others are nothing but trouble depending on design. this is often fixed by using a slot soundcard although an even better option would be to use an external soundcard.

as for your speaker buzzing it could just be that you are using junk speakers. low end speakers tend to buzz, pop and in general be pretty bad.

also of note: if you turn the volume to maximum its also fairly common to hear buzzing or crackling. its worse on cheap low end speaker sets than it is on the higher end. its generally not adviseable to turn them up to max.

instead of cheaping out on a speaker set, perhaps you should invest in something half decent.

also of note... i'd like to say that speakers where the amp is in the subwoofer tend to be half decent in terms of noise however you didnt want a subwoofer. for the record i have an old logitech x530 set in the other room (only using 2 of the speakers on it for a 2.1 system right now) and without anything connected its rock solid zero noise. i can have my ipod on max and the speakers up to 90% or so without any noise (any louder and its too loud for me)

my suggestion would be to get yourself a half decent soundcard (perhaps an external) and either get a decent 2.1 set

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Fair enough. What qualifies these days as a decent soundcard (give an example of both internal and external) given that my objective is only to avoid noise?

Likewise, what are examples of the cheapest end of stereo speakers that qualify as "decent" given that I don't care about sound quality, just noise and shielding?

soundcards from asus seem to be the hot pick nowdays. i used to use soundblaster however i've heard they arent so great anymore. sorry i dont use a soundcard anymore so i cant give you specific examples of what works good and what doesnt. i jumped off the soundcard boat years ago and everything is processed by an external DAC (my receiver)

potential cards:
the asus xonar dgx is only $25 with MIR right now. the next step up would be the xonor ds which is $43. they get average reviews. the cheaper one is better than the cheapest onboard sound but on par with decent onboard. the more expensive one is just a tad better than onboard sound. any slot card should have a bit less noise than onboard sound though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=asus%20soundcard&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

potential external:
creative go $40 doesnt get a bad rating and is small with only a headphone jack for 2.0/2.1 systems or headsets. this should have even less noise than internal. *should* being the key word.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102036&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

as for speakers... perhaps:
logitech z313
creative a220

---

now those arent super high end soundcards however if your issue is just electrical noise from your motherboard any slot or external soundcard should help reduce or allieviate the issue. this will not help if the issue is external (ie something sitting on your desk or dealing with your wiring, etc)

those speakers arent super high either but are not half bad. my mother and uncle both have a pair and love them. i've never heard static on them the few times that i've used them or heard them. although i've never really heard them 100% maxed out (which is not adviseable in any case). so cant say say if they have any speaker hiss at max or not.

no, i dont think the cables going to the speakers are going to have any sort of thick shielding on them for the price. however if that is an issue then perhaps you need to look around on your desk and see whats generating the electrical noise.

keep in mind that such things as cell phones, chargers and in some cases wireless sources have been known to cause interference. do you have a phone, router, charger block (transformer) or other such object anywhere near your speaker wires? (or even the ac wire for speaker sets) ?

i still think that the issue might be some sort of interference generated in your desk area or perhaps over the ac lines. if thats the case then a soundcard and new speakers might not fix your issue entirely but might offer some improvment at least.

i really cannot with 100% certainty, promise you anything.

Solution