Solved! Keep on having to update my antivirus for Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hunterdual

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Some of my specs if it even matters...

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1235MHz
Motherboard
MSI B350M GAMING PRO (MS-7A39) (AM4)
Graphics
G2460 (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)
Storage
223GB SanDisk SDSSDA240G (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA )
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24F1ST
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I've been having other issues with my computer before as well, but this one seems to be bugging a lot. Every time I boot up my system, it seems fine. but then when I check updates, it says I have to update Windows Antivirus. And, this happens every time I boot up my PC or after gaming a little and my game crashes, realizing that I have to update my antivirus again. Even if I'm not gaming, but just chilling on it, after like 2 hours or so it tells I have to update it again. I have a feeling I have some sort of virus on it, if I have to keep doing this.

Thanks for reading and I hope we can solve this issue. :ange:

Solution
So, a test from Sunday 10 June to Thursday 14 June. No messing with anything related to Updates. Actually, not using it at all, just leaving the laptop ON.

Selection button remains OFF. Cannot cause it to stay ON.

It checked yesterday (Wednesday)
EeRgBeN.png

It got its own update on Tuesday, squarely in the middle of the time period.
MWoy9bx.png

So, it appears whatever that button says makes no difference.
Seems that button showing OFF is of no import.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, this doesn't feel right.
If the option is available, it should work.

If it isn't supposed to be there, we shouldn't have the option to try. Or at the very least, it should throw an error message of some sort.

Agee: "doesn't feel right". (And thank you USAFRet for testing the Powershell script.)

I was looking into some way of reverse engineering the OP's issue. Mostly dead ends but someone with more Powershell experience would likely to be able to set up the necessary logic that checks for a registry key, a service, etc. and if found "on" just turns it "off" again. I.e., button goes back to off again.

Regarding: " I check updates, it says I have to update Windows Antivirus."

What is the exact wording and how is the message presented?

Maybe some IF THEN ELSE logic error:

The original intent (Microsoft?) being that automatic updates cannot or no longer be turned "OFF".

Just got it backwards or otherwise ran afoul of "unintended consequences". :)

Still interested in some possible relationship to "Windows Antivirus". Would expect to see "Defender" in there somewhere.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I think the Windows AV aspect comes in because that is the most often updated section.
If you manually check every day, you're going to see that every day, or every other day.

It's not exclusively the AV.

I'm letting my Transformer (Win 10 Home) run a couple of days on its own, without checking or updating anything. Just to see what happens.

Thanks.

Some Catch-22.

Auto update button code/logic accidently turning off the button and cannot be automatically fixed via an update because the button is off....

If there is a fix would expect a that a manual update would "repair" the button.

Will be watching. Thanks.

Colif

Distinguished
That button does same thing on my PC, it is likely a bug or intentional. If i turn on it turns off right away.

Win 10 Home version 1804

as I get Cumulative updates with it off, I have to assume it doesn't do anything?

Option may only give you a choice on Pro. Its a given that home gets auto updates so its odd to have that question.

USAFRet

Illustrious
So, a test from Sunday 10 June to Thursday 14 June. No messing with anything related to Updates. Actually, not using it at all, just leaving the laptop ON.

Selection button remains OFF. Cannot cause it to stay ON.

It checked yesterday (Wednesday)
EeRgBeN.png

It got its own update on Tuesday, squarely in the middle of the time period.
MWoy9bx.png

So, it appears whatever that button says makes no difference.
Seems that button showing OFF is of no import.

Solution