Kernel-Power Error, PC crash (may be related to AMD video drivers)

GhostNinja29

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
My laptop has been acting up for nearly a year now (it's gotten a little better with some things, but still) and when I play some games like Left 4 Dead 2 or a game I tried playing yesterday called Factorio, my computer crashes; as if I held down the power button. It used to do this for almost all my games, but it improved within the last 5 months.

Just before a crash, an event log from Kernel-Processor-Power is generated for all 4 cores of my processor, each saying "The speed of processor #1-4 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 4 seconds since the last report" The event ID is 37, and the task category is 7. My laptop turned off in the same way while it was turning back on; it took about 20 minutes for the system to recover after the original crash.

As for the specifics of when the crash happens, it occurs usually within the first 1-2 minutes of playing a certain game. (Here is a link to a screenshot of the event logs shortly after the crash)

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/7091/KcKNwC.jpg

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to AMD.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test your laptop again if the same problem will persist or not.
- If it does observe your laptop while it's plug into its charger and see if it will still crash or not.
- Lastly, do a complete cleanup inside the laptop and apply new thermal paste on the CPU.

GhostNinja29

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

Thanks, I'll try that. I realized I forgot to mention that I tried fixing the problem by resetting my computer back in September, although it did nothing but waste time. I also almost never unplug my laptop from its charger, it pretty much just stays put.

(EDIT) I uninstalled the graphics driver, but I may have uninstalled the wrong one like an idiot. I uninstalled one just labelled "Radeon R6 Graphics", which shortly after caused my computer to turn off in the same manner it does while playing some games. There is another graphics driver there, relating to my graphics card (Radeon R7 M265), but it's been disabled because my computer has decided to use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. It usually does that after a crash, so I'm going to restart my computer and see if it changes.

(EDIT 2) I did a clean reinstall of the drivers, but the problem still persists. I'll try running the game that crashed my computer with it unplugged, I'm not expecting any change though. I'll get it taken in to my local repair shop soon and see what they can do to try and fix this. In the meantime, thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate them.

UPDATE: I ended up saving up, and built myself a brand new gaming PC. Only thing is, I'm now looking at upgrading my cpu, motherboard, and ram for increased performance; I'll make another post with links to both builds if anyone would like to recommend alternative choices. Thanks for reading my little rant :)