Solved! Keyboard dysfunctional - Keeps spamming letters/Not working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2018
Hello,

I'm currently having problems with my Dock Keyboard Asus T100TA.

It actually is a recurring issue that started like 4 months ago out of nowhere.

Just turned on my laptop one day and the keys started dysfunctioning.

I have never spilled any type of liquids on the keyboard and currently, have not gotten any type of viruses or malware as of late, but did have
problems before with them.

The keys that are not working are the left/right shift, left/right ctrl, left/right fn, windows key, left/right alt.

The keys that are being spammed are N, ], PgDn key.

I downloaded a program called switch hitter, and it detects which keys are being pushed.

It's showing right now that the keys N, ], PgDn is actually being pushed or held as if someone is holding on it.

I have spent countless days looking on the internet for a solution but could not find anything.

So now as my last resort, I have made an account on here asking questions and looking for the solution.

The weird thing is that this problem actually comes and goes but when it's here, it's really bothersome and annoying.

Any help on this would be very appreciated and if I can't find answers here I will just have to copy paste this on another place that may have a solution as this is urgent.
Also when I press the space key, the letter N comes out after like if I pressed it next. It also does this when the C key is pressed.

At the moment, the N key seems to be the problem as its spamming while the other usual problematic keys are not.

Finally, when either the left/right shift, left/right ctrl, left/right fn, windows key, left/right alt is pressed, the keyboard stops working in general, like if the keyboard froze. The only way to get out of this is rapidly pressing all the upper keys from all the numbers to the esc and all f1,2 etc keys.

Thanks to anyone that could help!

Solution

Short circuit: Some failure causing permanent contact between traces in the keyboard. Circuits are printed on...
Try starting up the laptop in "Safe Mode". If it happens in there, then there is probably a problem with the keyboard.

However, if it doesn't happen while in there, then you likely do have a bad application, virus, malware, etc., on the computer that needs to be removed.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Jul 25, 2018
Ok, thank you for your answer but i already tried this about a 2 months ago.

It did not work.

But

To update you as of now, the spamming of the letter N has disappeared for now but now it has to be pressed a few times for it to come out.
Also the keys like left/right shift, left/right ctrl, left/right fn, windows key, left/right alt do not work at all.
It seems to me like the registry input from either the hardware or software seem to be stuck.
Strange enough, this problem, in general, occurred when i was not using this lapt for over 5 months, i also thought for a moment that the windows 10 was outdated but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Thank you for your suggestion though, gladly appreciate it!!

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 7even_ : "Keyboard dysfunctional - Keeps spamming letters/Not working correctly"

Sounds like sticky keys or a short in that section of the keyboard. Luckily it is just a docked keyboard. You can get a replacement for about $25 on eBay.

If you want to try and fix it. All I could suggest is to carefully remove the keys in the affected area. Then flush it with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and leave it to dry out for a week. 99% pure isopropyl is better but harder to find. Just note with the 99% stuff once it is opened it starts absorbing moisture until around 90%. Don't keep it around once opened expecting it to remain pure.

Just make sure it has no power source (ie plugged in/battery) while flushing nor until it has dried out.

Jul 25, 2018
@velocnityg4
I checked the sticky keys also already, that is not the problem.
What is a short my i ask?
Also, it's not possible getting this type of Dock as its the one with the 500gb hard drive version, from what i know, ASUS themselves do not make these anymore, only the standard version which is not an option since i need my 500gb hard drive which i use.

Also since i depend on this laptop in general for work, waiting one week for any type a fix is also not an option for me if there is no quick fix for this, i might as well buy a new laptop all together but i like this laptop a lot! really good for what i need.

Short circuit: Some failure causing permanent contact between traces in the keyboard. Circuits are printed on plastic sheets in keyboards and layered. Clusters of keys often share leads. A lead can burn out or corrode. I'd assume a short circuit could happen. Presumably if two layers wore through. Although this is just a guess. I haven't seen that happen but it is feasible. I've just seen them corroded.

If there was ever a liquid spill other than water. I'd figure on corrosion being the culprit. It can take a long time but the residue will eventually eat through. If something was spilled months or years ago and not properly cleaned. The corrosion can now have caused problems.

Solution
Jul 25, 2018
@velocityg4 - Oh ok, thank you for your explanation in it, now I understand what it means.
To be honest, water was actually spilled before, like about 4 years ago when I first got it BUT it was not on the keyboard, it was on the touchpad/mouse. I do not know if it would have an effect on the keys as well cause ever since water spilled on the touchpad it has not worked since as far as clicking goes. I have to touch the pad to use it now but I can live with that but definitely not the keyboard spamming.

@shmoochie -
This might sound crazy since you mentioned it but i actually use the USB and the only USB on this laptop to charge my iPhone as i only have one electricity outlet near me and that's for my laptop charger.
My space is limited as well so having to get any types of extras wouldn't help me at all.
Thank you for your advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.