Keyboard not working in chrome (intermittent problem)

jeremythepope

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hello, I'm using Chrome Version 25.0.1364.160 m with Windows 7 64bit home premium, on an Acer 5552g laptop and an external USB keyboard.

Several times a day, the keyboard stops typing anything at all in Chrome. It types fine in other apps, and I've actually resorted to typing emails in other apps, then cutting and pasting using the context menu.

The problem is sometimes resolved by reloading the page several times, or by restarting Chrome.

I've tried screaming, it doesn't seem to do much. Neither does throwing my keyboard across the room, or beating on the wall. Any ideas?

The problem happens in several types of text fields. It has a particular fondness for the gmail compose field and the address bar, those may be its natural habitat. The problem seems to be mostly nocturnal, unless awakened by the fact that I -really- need to get something done quickly.

Jeremy

Oh: just thought to try the integrated keyboard as well, same problem.

DerekEC

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hey Jeremy - My wife is having the same problem with her Acer laptop. She's tried the same solutions (screaming, throwing keyboard, etc.) but no luck. Did you ever find a solution?

Kavishankar

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015

Hi everyone,

I dnt know what causes the problem or how to fix it but this may help.

Press Window key twice and you are good to go.

Sounds childish but works :) :) :)

l0rd23

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Thanks, it works as solution for the time being (I'm having this problem with Google Chrome most recent stable Version 45.0.2454.85 m) and also bringing on top the task manager via (Shift-Ctrl-ESC) or changing the current active window to something else rather than Google Chrome tab(s) have the same effect.

It's strange problem indeed (I've never encountered this problem except this week with Version 45.0.2454.85 m) and I guess that culprit is a Google Chrome extention or an app (but which one? That's something I couldn't figure out).

dante18

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm getting this recently as well!! Please tell me how to fix it. It's extremely irritating. I'm able to resume typing once I alt+tab away and alt+tab back.

vasukinv

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

I've began experiencing the same issue since last 4-5 days. Is there anybody else who is experiencing the problem, while NOT using any of the following extensions?

Adblock v2.39
Auto PageResize v0.3.9
Ghostery v5.4.7
Google Docs Offline v0.5
History Trends Unlimited v1.3
IDM Integration Module v6.23.15
LastPass v3.2.29
Magic Actions for YouTube v6.8.9.2
Pushbullet v277
Save to Pocket v1.9.17

Obit

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015

Im experiencing the same issue, i have IDM and Adblock (PLUS 1.9.1 however). This has happened on the two devices i regularly use too. With the latest version, 45.0.2454.85m. I'm gunna disable IDM for a bit and see if the problem persists.

l0rd23

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

I did what you said but I still have the same problem.

l0rd23

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

I also have these extentions installed and with the same version as you:

Adblock v2.39
Google Docs Offline v0.5 (I disabled it but I've got the same problem, so I don't think it's the culprit here)
IDM Integration Module v6.23.15

I began to doubt that IDM Integration Module v6.23.15 (or any other version) is what causing this strange problem (I'll disable it and see what happens)

l0rd23

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Do you still have the same problem even after disabling IDM?

alienfever

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

I am having the same problem.
It started to happen after the last chrome update (Version 45.0.2454.85 m).
I think it happened once or twice in the version before it.

I noticed that it happens when changing tabs, or when opening a new tab.
I can't type in the address bar nor in some text field inside the page (eg. Whatsapp Web).

I also use IDM, AdBlock Plus, ChromeIPass, PushBullet and Google dictionnary extensions.

One solution I found is to minimize then maximize. I also tried the other things mentioned here and they work also.
(It's basically just making the window active - in focus again)

I hope google fixes this soon.

l0rd23

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Do you have IDM Integration with your Google Chrome?

I've disabled IDM Integration Module last night and all is going well till now.

alienfever

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

Yes I do (I updated the reply later).
I'll try disabling it thanks.

alienfever

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
The problem is most likely with the IDM integration Module.

The guys in here figured out how to reproduce the problem:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=528412

I tried it and the keyboard stops every time.
I also deleted the IDM module and tried the steps above and nothing happened (for 5 mins of testing).
Then I reinstalled the extension manually and the problem reappeared.

I can't tell if the problem is in IDM integration module or that this is a specific case of a more general problem.
But if people who disabled the extension don't get the issue for a long time then we can be certain.

tonaxxl

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
i found the problem in the IDM small popup that appears when you select text ; if i click the (x) button on that small IDM popup it remove the focus from google chrome causing the problem but if i just click out side the popup it just disappear and all working good
idm.png

Salman_5

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015
hello, im also facing the same issue from yesterday in chrome
i updated the chrome through filehippo. but facing the same issue in keyboard
im using Fujitsu A series laptop.
what is the solution of this problem? anybody can help
keyboard is working fine in all other programs
just facing this issue in chrome

parashardeshmukh

Estimable
Sep 28, 2015

i have been facing the same issue in my chrome. I do not have any IDM installed. when i try to type nothing works.when i try to click on anything some .htm files are being downloaded.
i am using acer e5 573 with win8 64bit.

AZSteve

Estimable
Oct 2, 2015
I have had this problem. I may have found answer, but need more time using Chrome with this "fix" to determine if it really fixes things long term.

Go to Settings. Select Advanced Settings. Scroll down to "System". If Hardware acceleration is enabled, disable it.

Now, select Extensions. Check if you have a bunch of extensions. You probably do not need most of them. I disabled Google Docs and Google Docs Offline. I would bet if you have these enabled, you probably did not even know what they are. I didn't.

Restart Chrome.

So far, for me, it seems to resolve the intermittent problem where keyboard was not working.

Steve