keyboard not working properly and system acting weird

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Hi everyone!

First of all, about my keyboard, very few keys are working. And sometimes they type, sometimes not. and some are typing wrong character. like S is typing '\sw'.

Second, when I startup, alt key is automatically pressed despite me not doing that. then whenever I open a file, that file's properties tab is opened instead. In chrome, if open a link mentioned in some page, it's downloaded instead of opening in a new tab. The onscreen keyboard won't work. But when I 'switch user' everything opens normally and onscreen keyboard works. But the laptop keyboard is still faulty.

Now this happened last week. Some kind of virus entered and it's all cleared up. Also some updates were installed. I have searched this forum and toshiba website, tried all that worked for others, no luck. Removed the keyboard, its all clean. Disconnected from the motherboard, attached it again, no luck.

I even uninstalled some updates kb2913431(old, from jan '14) , kb3092627, kb3087039 (recent) and two more that I didn't note.

I then tried system restore today, using the widely known method. I tried it with both 0 and F8. Nothing happened!! I pressed the keys until the system stopped the beeping sound and started up, totally ignoring the fact I am still pressing the key.
tried F12 too, not even a long beep with this one.
Typed all this using onscreen keyboard.

I have toshiba L735-128, Windows 7 Home premium, 64-bit OS
And I neeed MAJOR help!!

Solution
You can do that although safe mode for this process would be recommended. Press your windows key and "R" simultaneously. In the run box type msconfig and hit enter. If your keyboard will not perform that, you can just click start and use the onscreen kb to type into the search box and type msconfig. When the system configuration applet appears, go to the boot tab,>boot options>select safe boot>click the network radio button>click apply, click ok, reboot. The system will boot into safemode with network access.

Those trojans and proxies are no good. It's telling you that your databases are out of date because something is preventing malwarebytes from downloading them. Go to the control panel, select "view by: small icons" from the...

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

So everything is fine when using another user account? Malware like that sometimes doesn't like to be removed and even though "all is well" settings/registry keys where damaged/changed with the malware removal. I would recommend creating a new user account and migrating the data over to it (easiest solution.) Here's a step by step guide

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
![/quotemsg]

So everything is fine when using another user account? Malware like that sometimes doesn't like to be removed and even though "all is well" settings/registry keys where damaged/changed with the malware removal. I would recommend creating a new user account and migrating the data over to it (easiest solution.) Here's a step by step guide

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

[/quotemsg]

I will try what you have suggested. will have to make 2 new user profiles, as it says atleast 3.
But if everything is working properly, sure deleting the administrator account won't ruin anything else?

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

[/quotemsg]

I will try what you have suggested. will have to make 2 new user profiles, as it says atleast 3.
But if everything is working properly, sure deleting the administrator account won't ruin anything else?

[/quotemsg]

Some of your settings will default - wallpaper etc. Just make sure The new user name you create is made admin also and that you copy all the data over.

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
So I created a new user and all is well except the keyboard.
Still faulty.
I strongly suspect it has something to do with the updates and that malware.
What can I do? Any help with this as well?
Btw, does overheating ruin keyboard?

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I'm a little confused...your original post states that when you switch user, "everything opens normally and onscreen keyboard works." I'm curious also, who did the malware cleanup? Have you tried another keyboard? I assume "on screen one" is a touchscreen monitor keyboard. If the computer was overheating, there would be other issues before keyboard errors. Or do you mean your keyboard itself overheated?

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Yes, the system thing works normally, "my second problem" is solved but The keyboard problem still remains. And I can't use onscreen keyboard forever. :| It's this ease of access option on my laptop. (Though, I wish it was touchscreen monitor keyboard)
Microsoft security essentials cleaned the malware. And no, I have no other keyboard :(.

And about the overheating, I meant if it caused the keyboard to be like this. There hasn't been any other errors. I actually don't believe it has caused anything. Because the fan doesn't make much noise.
Sometimes, it's totally silent.
So, I think we should put this aside.

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I see...it sounds like this onscreen KB is one that displays on the screen and you use your mouse to "touch" the keys.

This keyboard symptom is usually related to the kb getting wet or dirty or somehow damaged physically; but the fact that the timeline coincides with a malware infection is fishy. Do this...

Download malwarebytes here https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
and adwcleaner here https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Boot into safe mode and let both of those scans run. If Microsoft Security Essentials found malware, I can almost guarantee that it didn't get all of it and that Malwarebytes/Adwcleaner find more. Reboot after letting both of these guys scan and remove all the junk that Microsoft couldn't detect

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Also, creativeplus...the best way to tell if the issue is the keyboard itself or something in the system is going to connect a USB keyboard to the laptop and see if it still acts the same. If you can't get your hands on one, you could go into a retailer like Staples and ask them to open one just to test it. Don't let them sign you up for any tech service program. I used to work for them - you don't want that.

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
I have installed both of them.
But I can't boot into safe mode as pressing F8 is doing nothing except beep sound and I can't use arrow keys to select safe mode.
Although malware's notifying me of malware Trojan.FakeMS, PUP.Optional.Privoxy.A (16 of these), PUP.Optional.SystemUpdate.A (4) and saying my databases are out of date.

Should I just proceed in normal mode of windows?

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
You can do that although safe mode for this process would be recommended. Press your windows key and "R" simultaneously. In the run box type msconfig and hit enter. If your keyboard will not perform that, you can just click start and use the onscreen kb to type into the search box and type msconfig. When the system configuration applet appears, go to the boot tab,>boot options>select safe boot>click the network radio button>click apply, click ok, reboot. The system will boot into safemode with network access.

Those trojans and proxies are no good. It's telling you that your databases are out of date because something is preventing malwarebytes from downloading them. Go to the control panel, select "view by: small icons" from the top right then click on internet options. Select the connections tab>click on LAN settings>confirm that "automatically detect settings" IS selected and that the proxy server option is NOT selected. Click ok, click apply, click ok again. Run malwarebytes again in safe mode and make sure it is able to update it's virus database.

Solution

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
I did all of that.
So much was infected! Registry keys and values, files and folders, some updates.
It's all cleared now.
And thanks a lot for suggesting it!

But the keyboard problem still remains :(((

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Well, sounds to me like they keyboard is physically damaged. Any luck getting your hands on a USB keyboard yet to test it out? You can get replacement laptop keyboards for $20-$50 if that's what we find in the end. Glad that malware is cleaned up though, what a mess.

creativeplus

Honorable
May 9, 2013
No luck so far :(
And that's what baffles me., i didn't drop the laptop, nothing was spilled. How could any physical damage happen?..I am not a rough user.

Anyway, huge thanks for all your help so far! Really appreciate it :)

If anyone else reads this post, I am still open to suggestions.

R4lNM4N

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

It might not be anything you did to it, it may very well just be faulty. Can't say for sure until an external keyboard is tested though

TRENDING THREADS