Keyboard Problem (MSI GL62M 7RDX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scenon

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Laptop : MSI GL62M 7RDX
Issue : After two months of using laptop, certain keyboard keys not working. Keys are r,f,c,"backspace",\,0,9 have to use an external keyboard to type that.
Things I did: Opened the laptop to reattached keyboard ribbon cable, didn't change a thing. (That voided the MSI 12 year warranty, I believe)Factory reset didn't solve anything. Uninstalled the keyboard and touch pad drivers and reinstalled them. Didn't change anything as well.
Specs: MSI GL62M 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black; Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5; 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM; 512GB Solid State Drive
Anything helps. Checked other forums with people with the same problems and they also stated that they sent it into a repair shop and MSI support and the problem came back for them. Leading me to believe that this problem is a pure software error, probably gonna wait for them to come out with an update
Thanks for all replies
Looking forward to replying to them

captainfrenchie

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

I got the exact same problem, deleted the pilots , Reinstalled them , still doesn't woRk , i have to old shit if i want to delet something oR use certain buttons (like you said , R, etC...), happened to me aFter i used dRiver booster to update my Computer. Same computer , same problems. Kinda annoying since i use the laptop For IT studies.

scenon

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
It's an unique problem because on the MSI Technical support forum, there are people with the same exact problem with the GL62M 7RD series. I called MSI about it and they didn't know about it. On that forum people stated that they sent in their laptops to MSI support and a local repair shop and the problem still came up. Hopefully me informing them about the problem will provoke an investigation.

captainfrenchie

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

Thanks you , i did the same but with the website selling the product (Materiel.net , french website), hope they will reach MSI and fix this problem asap :) .

captainfrenchie

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Update , my reseller don't want to take contact with MSI , i did and i need to send the product to their reparation center. I'll update when it come back to see if the problem is fixed.

scenon

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

On the MSI forum page about the same problem, someone sent in their laptop to get fixed at MSI and it was fixed. Then after two months the problem came back, so that might be an issue but lets hope. Thanks for the reply1 :D

Feb 20, 2018
So, I've had the same problem as everyone in this thread...

In my case it seems to be intermittent, rather than constant... I find that if I reboot it will usually fix the problem temporarily...

I also find that when it is in effect, I can still use the keys but I have to literally hammer on them to make them work...

Hopefully there is a software fix for this that they patch eventually since this laptop is awesome otherwise...:)

Mar 13, 2018
Like many of you reading this thread, I too had the issue of certain keys not working, primarily the "c,r,f, and backspace keys". I looked through a lot of different forums, I booted into safe mode, I deleted drivers, I did pretty much everything including a fresh install of Windows 10. My solution came from loading the bios (clicking the delete key while booting up), and I realized the problem with the keys did not occur within the bios. So I decided to update the bios, and chip set though MSI support page for the laptop. After doing so, this has caused the problem to virtually disappear.

Jan 8, 2019
Guys, I don't know if mine was the same problem of yours, anyway I had the same your effects (any Keys didn't work (Enter, Windows, Fn and Home exactly)).

However, sometimes, by hammering on those keys, they got to work for a while but after they got don't to work again.

Casually, I discovered that behavior depended by the F6 key… when I hold down the F6 key, the other keys took to work correctly. So I forced the key Fn to work by hammering on it and when it worked for a while I pressed the F6 key and now my keyboard works perfectly again.

Surely it will not be the solution for all of you but for most of you the problem could depend on a "blocked" key which disables somehow other keys.

Bye guys
Francesco

Jan 15, 2019

Nah. Has nothing to do with a specific key. If you hold ANY working key, it will cause the broken keys to work. Sometimes. And I too tend to smash the keys, but not because it makes them actually work, but just from the anger of it taking literally 20 or 30 minutes to type a short sentence or two. Sometimes if I just gently hold down the broken key long enough, it will suddenly start going "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" or whatever. What I DO know, is that I will NEVER buy another MSI product again as long as I live. This laptop is basically worthless. I'm stuck using the on-seen keyboard to type this message right now.

Jun 14, 2019

Nah. Has nothing to do with a specific key. If you hold ANY working key, it will cause the broken keys to work. Sometimes. And I too tend to smash the keys, but not because it makes them actually work, but just from the anger of it taking literally 20 or 30 minutes to type a short sentence or two. Sometimes if I just gently hold down the broken key long enough, it will suddenly start going "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" or whatever. What I DO know, is that I will NEVER buy another MSI product again as long as I live. This laptop is basically worthless. I'm stuck using the on-seen keyboard to type this message right now.

Brother i have also the same problem there are some buttons that work when i press another working button i don't know its a hardware or software problem . I am thinking to change the keyboard but don't know it will solve the problem or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.