Solved! Keyboard some of the letters typing dual such as j types yj and y types yj

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaCarol

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
My keyboard is not working correctly. When I type in j, I get uyj. When I type in d, I get Caps Lock and wS

I have checked the settings and the language is set correctly.

I have done the alt + shift keys

I have tried the Ctrl + shift keys

I have tried the fn + num lock

I have tried the fn + caps lock

I tried changing the USB port that the keyboard was plugged into.

I tried checking the settings to ensure sticky keys are not on.

I tried uninstalling the keyboard then rebooting and plugging it back in and starting again.

I tried rebooting my computer, I tried running troubleshooting from the control panel / device manager and got the message that the device is working properly.

None of this has fixed the problem, I had this problem before and clearly it was about setting up something wonky with hitting two keys that put in some odd command. But, I can't find a solution. It was fixed "accidentally" the last time.

I did this with an external keyboard that I plug into the laptop. I would rather not have to replace the external keyboard but I don't know how to undo it.

Since posting this and trying various things, some of the keys now work but some do not.

if I type T, I get tf

if i type F, I get tf

If I type j or y single, I get yj as a combo. If I type s, I get S and caps lock. if I type d, it jumps the screen and is lost all together. At that point, I can't type until I scroll the page up to where I was typing. If I type [ or ;, I will get [;

So not sure what to do. The biggest problem seems to be with the centre row keys and most commonly used letters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help. (You can skip those steps that you've done already):

• First is to uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver.
  • Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver then reboot the laptop.
  • After the reboot do test it again and see if it works or not.
  • If it still does not work, open the on-screen keyboard (just search for osk) and press the letter j and see if it types the letter using it.
  • And lastly, try connecting an external USB keyboard and see if everything works normally using it.
  • If it works just fine, the problem is that specific key only. Try to dust off that key and see if it works or not.
  • Replacing the whole keyboard would be the only solution...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help. (You can skip those steps that you've done already):

• First is to uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver.
  • Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver then reboot the laptop.
  • After the reboot do test it again and see if it works or not.
  • If it still does not work, open the on-screen keyboard (just search for osk) and press the letter j and see if it types the letter using it.
  • And lastly, try connecting an external USB keyboard and see if everything works normally using it.
  • If it works just fine, the problem is that specific key only. Try to dust off that key and see if it works or not.
  • Replacing the whole keyboard would be the only solution if all these do not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Matt_2007

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Just had this myself,
letts t and x were affected, 2 miuntes later tyz were affected, the answer: an unexplaned pool of water under the keyboard. short circiting the board. had to go back to my cheap horrible basic board untill i dry out the other

Katie_20

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
I have same problem as Matt2007 spilled a bit of rum on the keyboard....I know.....then it all went to h*(( now I can't log in to the machine (using work machine now) not even with usb keyboard because my password contains characters that have been corrupted. Matt how long did it take for your keyboard to dry out?

Status
Not open for further replies.