keyboard/touchpad not working after sleep but USB insertion fixes them

niftyc

Prominent
May 6, 2017
When my HP Omen 15 laptop running Windows 10 returns from suspend, the on-board keyboard and touchpad stop working, making me unable to login.

I've read all of the "keyboard/touchpad/mouse not working after laptop returns from sleep" threads on here and other sites. I've tried the solutions that fixed them but they do not work for me.

Things I've tried:

• ■ I've updated to the latest drivers
    ■ I've unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the touchpad, mouse, and keyboard driver in the Device Manager
    ■ I've tried toggling the USB selective suspend option in my power management plan.
    ■ I've tried disabling the PCI link state power management in my power management plan.
    ■ I've tried uninstalling the drivers for the touchpad, keyboard, and mouse, restarting, and reinstalling them.

More details for my problem:

• ■ External keyboards/mice connected via USB are not affected by this problem.
    ■ Rebooting does not cause this problem, only returning from suspend.
    ■ Rarely, the problem fixes itself after about 90 seconds and everything I've typed (usually my password typed several times) comes out all at once in a burst.
    ■ External (USB) keyboards and mice are not affected by this problem. Even when the on-board keyboard and touchpad stop working, external devices continue to work.
    Maybe a key clue: (?) Plugging in an external USB device immediately fixes this problem, and the on-board keyboard and touchpad start working again.

I'm really hoping someone can help!

niftyc

Prominent
May 6, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply!

I can't remember what I did so I uninstalled them and rebooted without reinstalling as you suggest. This seems to have made it worse. Mysteriously (to me), the computer updated itself to a Synaptics touchpad driver version that is not available for download on either the HP or the Synaptics Web site (my computer installed 19.2.4.10, but the HP OEM recommended one is 19.0.12.95.E and the Synaptics one is 19.0.19.1).

But now after doing this I'm seeing additional keyboard and touchpad freezing while working on the computer -- before it just happened after suspend, now it looks like it can happen anytime. If I unplug then reseat any USB device the issue goes away and all of the text I typed during the freeze comes out at once.

I suppose this is progress, as it seems like it doesn't have anything to do with suspend if it can happen anytime.

Any other suggestions? Hopefully yours,

If that didn't help it sounds like it isn't the drivers then. There could be something else interfering.

Have you tried loading in "Safe Mode"? It will limit what you can do, as it restricts what can run, but you can see if the keyboard issues happen while in it. NOTE: On some computers an external keyboard won't work in "Safe Mode". If the problem doesn't occur in "Safe Mode" then you know it is something that not part of the system. That leaves software, viruses, malware, etc. If it still happens in "Safe Mode" then it may well be hardware.

niftyc

Prominent
May 6, 2017
OK this took me a while to do as the problem mostly occurs when returning from suspend, but there apparently is no suspend from Safe Mode. As I mentioned I did have the problem once when not suspending the computer, so I switched to Safe Mode and tried typing a long time to see if I reproduced the problem.

I am able to reproduce the problem while in Safe Mode, the fix is the same -- unplugging and reinserting a USB device fixes the freeze.

If it still happens in safe mode, that is bad right? It seems bad.

niftyc

Prominent
May 6, 2017
OK one more detail discovered, it looks like it only freezes when returning from a sleep that was initiated using the suspend command from Windows 10 (from the start menu).

It does not freeze when closing the lid, which also sends a suspend command.

Since I have no answer and am not sure what else to try, I guess I'm just going to try to work around it by always having a USB device handy to unfreeze the thing.

Thanks for the ideas in any case,