Kickstarter: We Are Not a Store!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Hmmm.. maybe this is needed. Kickstarter is allways risky busines. It can come true or it does not. And the program can be very stable or it will be so bug infested that it would reguire several years of debugging. I am not sure that people really understand that kickstarter is a camble. There are some kickstarter projects that I consider worth of risk, but maybe I lose my money or then I do not... Nobody can tell. So yoy have to consider if it does not matter, if the project goes to bogus! Sometimes it is better to try than worry about the money!

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]baning renderings is going to make many projects impossible[/citation]
But on the other hand it will show investors where the project is at instead of how it's intended to be.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]But on the other hand it will show investors where the project is at instead of how it's intended to be.[/citation]
lol... how can you show potential investors the product you are raising money to produce if you cannot show them what the product will look like?

G

In some cases, make a prototype.
In others, by proper scientific/engineering description.

G

What about concept drawings? preliminary art work? rendering is part of that and particularly if you're making a game I would want to see some of the creators high quality rendering as that's a good indication of ability..

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
It is the case of which came first, the egg or the chicken.
If I had an idea that needs funding for to produce the actual product, I would need the money to assemble, but I would probably use the money for research first, then testing, during which time
models are made (not the actual product).

In this era a lot of this modeling is done thru rendering.

nightbird321

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I think this change is reasonable, if entrepreneurs aren't willing to spend their own money to get a prototype out, it's usually a bad sign. For devices, something assembled using existing parts that looks like a Frankenstein monster is what billion dollar company R&D departments do. For games, they should show they are capable of producing a demo. With these rules, Kickstarter is not only protecting their crowd-sourcing investors, but also helping brand new entrepreneurs to put enough effort into their project to get a good sense of what they are getting into and resources they'll need to complete it. Double win.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
"I said to them 'So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.'
NO That's NOT what kickstarter is! Kickstarter takes money from PEOPLE WHO WANT THE PRODUCT and give the designer THEIR money for it. Kickstarter isn't 'allowing' the company their own money for it, so why the hell would it matter to them what they do with it? This is the talk of greed taking hold of this guy. This is outrageous.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Oh my, how bout this, a true entrepreneur is willing to invest his own money (ex: take out a bank loan) to create said design protoype instead of doing a render (which any kid can do these days) and expect people to give you money first. If a person (company) is unable to even get a bank loan, what are the chances that person (company) will even get their project done?

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]Oh my, how bout this, a true entrepreneur is willing to invest his own money (ex: take out a bank loan) to create said design protoype instead of doing a render (which any kid can do these days) and expect people to give you money first. If a person (company) is unable to even get a bank loan, what are the chances that person (company) will even get their project done?[/citation]
umm.. apparently you don't understand the function of kickstarter

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]"I said to them 'So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.'NO That's NOT what kickstarter is! Kickstarter takes money from PEOPLE WHO WANT THE PRODUCT and give the designer THEIR money for it. Kickstarter isn't 'allowing' the company their own money for it, so why the hell would it matter to them what they do with it? This is the talk of greed taking hold of this guy. This is outrageous.[/citation]

you dont get it.

lets say EA wanted them to use kick starter,
that way EA doesnt put up any of their money.
they than independently fund, build, and make a working game.
than through that, EA wants to publish the game with the same rule set as if EA funded EVERY aspect of the game.

basically, ea wants to make a game, but not take any risk in development.

[citation][nom]nightbird321[/nom]I think this change is reasonable, if entrepreneurs aren't willing to spend their own money to get a prototype out, it's usually a bad sign. For devices, something assembled using existing parts that looks like a Frankenstein monster is what billion dollar company R&D departments do. For games, they should show they are capable of producing a demo. With these rules, Kickstarter is not only protecting their crowd-sourcing investors, but also helping brand new entrepreneurs to put enough effort into their project to get a good sense of what they are getting into and resources they'll need to complete it. Double win.[/citation]

yea, that's what a multibillion $ company does out of the public eye.
you don't go to someone with a device that takes up 4-5 times the amount of space, and doesn't look pretty, and tell them to think of the possibilities, but here is what it can do, what it looks like and not show them any of what a finished product should look like and what it should do.

granted, i would love to see what a working prototype.
but if you are using a kickstarter, you probably don't have the money or resources to do that.
but anyone can make a drawing, or get a render,

i would like to know the exact status of a project, tell me point blank where you are, after that, show me whatever render you want to try to sell the idea.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Lol, no. I totally read that wrong. Nevermind[/citation]
that quote was actually outrageous. the thought of the balls and greed publishers must have to do somethings as low as that. publishers thinking they can publish a game without funding it at all? and take "ownership" of their ip and only give them some profits, without contribution?!

to have the balls to go to a developer and think hes an idiot. that really has to be the lowest thing in the gaming industry Ive seen in a very long time.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]umm.. apparently you don't understand the function of kickstarter[/citation]
The purpose of Kickstarter is to get funding to make it possible to bring products to market. Not to fund the initial steps in designing a product. If the company or person can't design and make some progress on developing the actual product, Kickstarter isn't going to help them.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The purpose of Kickstarter is to get funding to make it possible to bring products to market. Not to fund the initial steps in designing a product. If the company or person can't design and make some progress on developing the actual product, Kickstarter isn't going to help them.[/citation]

i thumbed you up because you are right. so let's say you have designed a product and all you need to do to bring it to market is to say the word "go" to the manufacturer you have selected... only that has a $20,000 price tag... that is what kickstarter is for

at this phase the design is complete, all that mains is to produce it... using established tech and standardized practices. boy how do you get at $20,000?
how about show people what you will be shipping out 20 days after you say the word 'go' to the manufacturer... only kickstarter in its brilliance says you are not allowed to show people this product until you produce it (or waste thousands of dollars on ridiculously unneeded sub-per prototypes).

protip - not all product ideas need physical prototypes... some tech is so well established that the ver idea of a prototype is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.