Kid Shoots Parents Over Halo 3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom][/citation]

I don't blame religion directly, but a lot of fucked up crazy ppl use religion to go nuts, and a lot of religious people are screwballs anyhow. Don't think so, then why do we have stupid shit like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam

and it's not just Islam (the most fucked up tho)...plenty of Right wing "christian and hindu" wack jobs as well.

Yes, it may just be that a lot of these wack jobs use religion as an excuse for their underlying douche-ness, but almost every religion has f'ed up sh!t in it.

Page 1. Don't kill everyone different than you, page 2. Uh, forget what I said on page 1 followers, it's now okay to kill everyone.

Religion in general is fucked up, it was written down thousands of years ago by a lot of relatively ignorant (flat earth) people as a means of controlling the populace.

Uh oh, an invisible man with wings and a sword is going to come out of the cotton candy clouds and strike me down with his 1D20 +3 "flaming sword of Heresy" and then he won't use a resurect spell on me after I'm dead...gimme an fing break...nuts !

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Good point Tindytim, WTF kind of lockbox can be 'broken into'?

And if it was that easily broken into, what happens when someone breaks in? You come home one night, and someone is still in your house, even worse, because you decided to keep a gun in a lock box, you've now armed the robber.

That's still negligent. He didn't have a gun lock? You can get them for free at any police station now a days.

The media, whom they own, have pushed forward a 'soft' culture who will never push back against the ultimate control they hold over us.
And you think beating your children is going to instill something better in them?

I agree that some media outlets do put out a rather soft image for children, but physical harm isn't the answer. If you look at emerging interrogation methods, the USA has been moving away from torture and physical harm. Children shouldn't be afraid of their parents.

What people really need to realize is that, once you have children, everything else comes secondary. You have no life, and it's your job to make sure they don't being a leech from society. You're not their friends, your their parents. If that's not how you wanted it, you shouldn't have had sex.

If you can't care for children, don't have them.

Parents these days seem to be very lenient, and easily moved by whining. Get rid of that, and we'd be fine.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
a gun is still a dangerous weapon inside a normal household. probably, there's already a problem in the family.
if it was a Taser or knife he found, no one should have died.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Sigh...

What came first, the chicken or the egg?
The violent video game or the severely screwed up kid time bomb?

History shows us that we are products of our parents and peers. My inclination is that the video game had no real bearing on this. It could have been cigarettes. It could have been marbles. That home, those parents and that kids life were just wrong. He's proof of it.

... So who got the Halo3 afterwards? :p

Very best,

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
why does every one play the blame game ??

media blames video games, video fans blame the religion , religion fanatics blame music , no one really6 ever triess to look for teh real problme they just jump for the simple solution.

the bigest factor being this kid was off in the head regardless of other factors.

Now being a minster doesn't make you inhumanly kind or above being human. I knew this girl That got raped/molested by her 2nd step dad when she was 15 , and he was a babtist minister. on the other hand i have known some babtist ministers that were the nicest poeple you could ever meet and thier kids were not restricted in any way.

The fact this kid could shoot his parent at point blank range in the face , obviously tells us HE WAS AND OR IS FREAKING NUTS. end of story , there is no one else toblame no magical scape goat the kid was crazy and he poped like a over filled balloon with that craziness, He is likely to shoot more of his family should he return homeI'd probably want him kept the hell away from me.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
the kid should be put to death. no excuses! who the hell kills the people that brought you into this world and gave you life? he is nothing short of one of the most twisted people on earth.

imo, the dad is one dumb*!@, you take in the kid that killed your wife and tried to take your life? have he not thought about what other dangers he'll have to face having a psycho living with him? the kid clearly has mental issues and has committed one of the worst crimes ever, should NOT belong at home.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
The egg.

the kid should be put to death. no excuses! who the hell kills the people that brought you into this world and gave you life? he is nothing short of one of the most twisted people on earth.
My 'mother' molested, neglected, and beat me. She tried to kill me on multiple occasions. If I had shot her, it would have been justified.

why does every one play the blame game ??
I'll quote myself.
Blame only serves as the indicator of the failed link, and how to prevent the problem in the future.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Blame violent games yeh, right. Well WTF did you expect when you take God out of school and impress kids with nothing. An education isn't education if you don't have God in it. That's like being honest ONLY because it's the best policy. That teaches there is no honesty because the "honesty" you have isn't really honest. It's just because that's the "best" policy. Maybe too deep for uneducated ppl who don't think to deep but either way. This isn't because the parents failed them or the stupid butthole3 game (DS game anyways). A society without God is a society destined for disaster, history repeats itself.

TSM

G

Yes, because we ALL KNOW that games are the real reason this happens,and not something trivial like deep rooted psychological problems whose manifestations are left ignored and trivialized. Why make behavioral and psycological issues the scapegoat when GAMES ARE EVIL.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Bunz_of_Steel[/nom]Blame violent games yeh, right. Well WTF did you expect when you take God out of school and impress kids with nothing. An education isn't education if you don't have God in it.[/citation]
If you want to delude yourself, go have fun doing that. But don't go forcing magical beliefs on impressionable children because you lose faith in your own delusions.

[citation][nom]Bunz_of_Steel[/nom]A society without God is a society destined for disaster, history repeats itself.TSM[/citation]
No, a society with Zelots that want to take away our freedom by enforcing state religion is destined for disaster. Go to the middle east, they all seems to have their deities close to their hearts, and look how well they're doing.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]And you think beating your children is going to instill something better in them?[/citation]

No you misunderstand. Im not saying beat them every day just to beat them. Thats just dumb. But when they make mistakes, you HAVE to impress upon them that it was a mistake, and lets face it, a 5 year old is not going to understand a good talking to and a 'time out' I think our current culture is proof enough of that.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]No you misunderstand. Im not saying beat them every day just to beat them. Thats just dumb. But when they make mistakes, you HAVE to impress upon them that it was a mistake, and lets face it, a 5 year old is not going to understand a good talking to and a 'time out' I think our current culture is proof enough of that.[/citation]

I've seen plenty of parents not following through on what they say. They make hallow threats, that they won't follow through with, and then they compromise easily when a child whines.

Not to mention it's difficult to separate emotion from beatings. It's just to messy to deal with.

Make consequences ahead of time, and follow through on them. Physical violence will cause children to fear their parents, and it makes it easier to think of the parent as an enemy. Warn them you'll take away what they want, then do it regardless of their reaction afterwards.

G

You people who are criticizing the folks that say religion is responsible don't know what it's like to be raised in a strict religious household. I was raised a Jehovah's Witness. You know there were many times where I planned out my parents' demise, but I never went through with it only because it was illegal. I also knew at 18, I could just leave and they wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.

I was raised in an environment where 'R' rated movies were banned. Games with violent overtones were banned. So I had to sneak all that stuff. When I was growing up I wasn't allowed to play games like Contra, Metal Gear, Mortal Kombat, and etc. I had to sneak 'em. As you grow older and you realize how brainwashed your parents are by their religious values, you become more and more resentful towards them. When you aren't allowed to do the things that the majority of kids are doing around you, it can screw with your head if you're not careful. Eventually I used music, poetry, and keeping a hidden diary of my feelings to keep me sane until I could leave the house. Some people just don't have the patience nor the will to endure that kind of torture.

Strict religious values can definately have a grave impact on a child's life. I can sympathise with this kid, because I almost went there, because I was in a similar situation. I chose the legal way out, but he didn't. Granted, he probably was already a little screwed up in the head, and all he needed was a little push towards insanity.

born2rock4life

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
As sad as this is, trying to place the blame without being inside the kids mind is impossible. If there were past issues with his parents, especially mental abuse, we will never know unless it's brought to light. We can waste time trying to guess what caused him to conjure such a horrible idea, but I think we can actually learn something from the idea's I've read in other comments. In buddhism, part of reaching an "Enlightened" state, would be for one to become disassociated with desire as part of becoming self-less. In this case, the parents forbidding the kid to play violent video games in my opinion caused a common human reaction. We desire what we can't and/or not supposed to have. Now, does this apply to everything? Of course not. However, this game is something plenty of children have played. I can attest as I've heard 5 and 6 year olds on the mic calling each other butt faces... and if you've played Halo 3 online, you probably have too. Anyways, these elements alone created a strong desire and lust for the game, let alone any possible aspect of family issues and what not.

I think the most valuable lesson anyone can take away from this, is that we as people need to show others and especially our children that almost anything can be safe and appropriate when in moderation, and that the banning of such a otherwise harmless object such as this game can produce violent results.

G

I agree with Curnel_D. Though the kid's reaction to his parents taking away the game was extreme, I can understand his thought process. The whole thing about him having a close relationship with his parents is obviously a load of bull crap. He clearly hated his parents from the start; I can only imagine what else they kept away from him. He was a bomb waiting to go off at any moment. At 17 he should be planning to move out and live independently, not fighting his parents to play video games that all of his friends are playing. There should not have been any conflict in the first place. Also, there is a little irony that his parents owned a gun, but wouldn't let him have one in a video game.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
In buddhism, part of reaching an "Enlightened" state, would be for one to become disassociated with desire as part of becoming self-less.
And that has what to do with anything? And that's not even true, there are hundreds of sects of Buddhism, and some more contemporary ones don't shun all desire. Wouldn't wanting to reach such a state be a desire?

That desire is usually applied to materialistic concepts, but I say that from my experience with a few sects, there may be plenty of sects that get rid of all desire (material or immaterial).

I think the most valuable lesson anyone can take away from this, is that we as people need to show others and especially our children that almost anything can be safe and appropriate when in moderation, and that the banning of such a otherwise harmless object such as this game can produce violent results.
Exactly.

G

I would bet anything that if this kid's surprise was "hey mom and dad, I am gay" that his father wouldn't be as forgiving as he is now about the murder of his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.