Kinda weird NAS Setup possible or not?

Sep 13, 2018
Good evening,
I guess my plan is a bit too ambitious but maybe someone can help, I have a Windows Desktop PC and an 13" Macbook Pro Early 2015. What I thoght about is the following, since backing up my data should be a thing, it's totally not the case at the moment to be honest. I wanted to buy an external drive, to get at least one physical Backup at my place. After some research my first plan, to get one drive, creating a Partition on the Mac for the Mac Time Machine Backup and another NTFS or sth. for Windows on my PC with formerly unused space, should be possible. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Would be a start of backing up my stuff at least, but then I thoght about getting a NAS, found the Western Digital MyCloud Home, Synology and stuff might be better, but since I'm able to get the Duo Drive one, with 4 TB for 169€ or the 8TB one for 200€, which seems to be the better deal for me, that's my first choice at the moment.
Now what I want to know, Since I have two HDDs in this NAS, a RAID 1 should be possible, since WD also advertises this, and this would be the next level security wise. Can I still go for this Partition kinda trick, splitting both drives in a MAC and Windows Partition. Getting both Backups done like this seems to be perfect for me at the moment, security and budget wise. If there is another solution like this, I really appreciate your advices.
Excuse my maybe washed up english, I'm a german dude, if you don't understand something, feel free to ask.

Solution
On the NAS you will not need to do any partitioning.

If you get a NAS, the NAS user interface will allow you to enable Timemachine support on the NAS, and you connect to it via the MAC's Timemachine setup.

On the PC site you can map the NAS to a drive letter and use a backup software to create backups to the NAS.

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
On the NAS you will not need to do any partitioning.

If you get a NAS, the NAS user interface will allow you to enable Timemachine support on the NAS, and you connect to it via the MAC's Timemachine setup.

On the PC site you can map the NAS to a drive letter and use a backup software to create backups to the NAS.

Solution
Sep 13, 2018

Alright, I did not expect it to be that easy, since I read a lot of stuff of Time Machine being picky about the partitioning of the drive, while i found no easy solution like this.
Thank you very much!