Know a good tool for finding duplicate files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdsgjkhdfk

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Hey does anybody know of a tool that can do the following:find all duplicate files on your PC + giving you the option to automatisize the deleting of the duplicate files (even duplicate folders) + deleting all duplicates in one folder where you manually can set which file/folder to be original default/original. Lets say you have about 2.000 duplicate files(which would be a hell of a job deleting manually), and what I want is to be able to set which folder is the one I want to keep. So lets say I get about four duplicates of each file, I want that the prog deletes all duplicates leaving just one (the one I set to be kept). Sorry that I might have expressed myself a little silly, but I hope you understand what I´m after. Thanx anyway.

McClikkLinCosh

goodtom

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I know a software that can remove all the duplicates in outlook. That is winpst Outlook Duplicate Remover. This software charges a fee but I think you can use its trial version to just delete some duplicates for you and reduce your work.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
If your trying to get rid of duplicates with one or two files or 100 folders, all you do is make a new file and put them all into it, and when it asks, tell it to remove the duplicates or copy/replace!

wildoc82

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have used the Duplicate File Cleaner and it is a very good software to do this job. Is easy to use and quite accurate, although I will advice you to manually go through the results once, because Once I simply deleted all files which the software had marked as duplicate and unfortunately some important files were also deleted and as a result a few programs had to be reinstalled. The only sore point is its price, about $25. But if you have many external drives and large volumes of data to scan, you can definitely save a lot of space. Like I have a total of six external drives. By using this software, I was able to put a copy of all duplicate files in one hard disk (just as a backup) and I deleted all other copies. This way I was able to free up a disk with 500 GB. So pretty good deal. But if you really do not have so much data, then I am not sure if anyone would want to spend $25. Then one can look for freeware like easy duplicate finder. But the freeware are not without problems themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.