Lag spikes during gaming only at 73C

BBC23

Estimable
May 2, 2015
I recently got a new laptop, and I use it for various tasks and sometimes gaming. When I'm playing a game that is more demanding, I experience Lag spikes.

Specs:
CPU: i5-4210U-1.7-2.7GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (Dual Channel)
GPU: HD Graphics 4400- 1.7Gb

I know that some of you will start by saying that "a laptop is not for gaming, especially with your specs" but belive me, I'm playing GTA V at decent frame rates (28-40FPS) and a lot of other high-end games but that is not my question.

If I want to play for example GTA V or Far Cry 3, after 10-20 min of gameplay, when my CPU reaches 73C, the cooler starts speeding up and I get lag spikes for 2-3 seconds. This happens every 5-10 minutes.

Now I know that due to the high temperatures, the CPU cuts down its own clock speed to reduce the heating and therefore resulting in my "spikes" but is there anything I can do about it?

If I buy a cooler for my laptop, do you think that I will be able to keep it at a steady 70C during gaming?
The laptop is brand new therefore the dust issue is out of question as well as the thermal paste.

velo3100

Splendid
70 is quite high for gaming. I don't think that you can do much except get a cooling pad for your laptop. As the cpu is a ulv chip, it can't maintain, its turbo at high temps for very long. This is also the case for your gpu.

The only other thing I can think of is make sure that you room is well ventilated and that you are playing on a hard surface with the air vents unblocked.

velo3100

Splendid
70 is quite high for gaming. I don't think that you can do much except get a cooling pad for your laptop. As the cpu is a ulv chip, it can't maintain, its turbo at high temps for very long. This is also the case for your gpu.

The only other thing I can think of is make sure that you room is well ventilated and that you are playing on a hard surface with the air vents unblocked.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
abramzayed123 Laptop General Discussion 1
LaptopGamer999 Laptop General Discussion 1
WickedGames Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 13
M Laptop General Discussion 2
El Nenin Laptop General Discussion 4
H Laptop General Discussion 2
user84564 Laptop General Discussion 3
Ablion12 Laptop General Discussion 2
agaitan026 Laptop General Discussion 5
gqchishti Laptop General Discussion 0