Lagging When Gaming

othan1

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Hi All,

I've been having some problems with my laptop the past week, hopefully someone can help.

The past week or so I have had problems when playing any games on my laptop with lagging. I will lag and get static/crackly noises when I do.

I haven't had any problems for the past 8 months up until now. My laptop is also good enough to play these games e.g. League of Legends (specs below).

Laptop Specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 980M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM (15.89 GB usable)

When playing the games I opened up MSI Afterburner and noticed that my GPU 1 (dedicated) usage is only at 30%, whereas my GPU 2 (integrated) is much higher and I seem to get the lag when it hits 100% usage. I have the preferred graphics processor set as the the dedicated card and have the power management mode as prefer maximum performance (both globally and for the game individually). I'm not sure if there is anything else I have to do, but I thought that the dedicated should be much higher?

I also noticed that my CPU is overheating when playing. It's at 90 degrees C and it's also hot when not doing anything at 65 degrees C. What should I look at to decrease this?
GPU is as 50 degrees C when playing.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
First clean your pc if you can and replace the thermal past. Then update the intel and nividia drivers. Then make sure all windows updates have been installed.