Lame question - Is it worth upgrading for simple work in 3ds max

wodaman

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
Hi guys I am not IT guy and I use my computer mostly for movies and writing. However I figured out that my posters and papers look better with 3D models even if these are simple.

I started to make some in 3ds max on my i5 3570, 16GB ram and no external graphic card. And obviously I have troubles if I want to create something more complicated (the screen starts to be slow and ''laging'').

And I don't know if it is caused by weak processor or absence of graphic card.

I don't care about speed of rendering becouse my scenes are very small, but I would like to have my working process smooth.
Is it worth buying graphic card or I just have too weak processor?

Thank you for answering me this noob question.

Woda

BustaRhymes

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
I'm thinking it could be two things, either SSD or graphics, a gtx 750 or gtx 750ti would prob be a decent and cheap upgrade for your graphics, and would be way better than integrated. Also r9 270 wouldnt be bad, just make sure your computer will fit a graphics card and has the 6 pin power plug on your power supply you may need.

If you dont have a SSD yet you can get a small one for pretty cheap and it should make your programs run quite a bit faster.

Your i5 should be good enough for any program, it really is the sweet spot in price/performance.

wodaman

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
Hi thank you very much for your reply. I don't think that SSD would help, start of the application is quick and smooth. The problem is that when I create a lot of arrays for example it is hard to work with the scene, I cannot zoom etc.

I was thinking about gtx 790 Ti too, i would probably take rather nvidia, becouse I've read that it has better support in 3ds max.

Thanks a lot.