Laplet(2-in-1) with de-attachable keyboard that has a built-in GPU. Does such a thing even exist?

Pendrokar

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Hey,

I've tried searching for keywords related to this, but nothing seems to come up. The idea is that it is unlikely someone will perform some heavy duty stuff on a tablet without a mouse and keyboard. So why not also have a GPU inside the keyboard? Has someone done it?

It seems that most 2-in-1 laptops are simply ok with having an APU. Having to reboot would not be a big deal.

I know only about Alienware's external video card, which is simply a box that contains a power supply and a video card. Cumbersome.
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-graphics-amplifier?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=452-BBRG&redirect=1%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%80%B9

Solution
Such a device does not exist because there is no market for it.

You're trying to turn a laptop into a hi perf graphics machine, AND a tablet. Resulting in a heavy, hot, expensive tool that does nothing very well.
I certainly would not buy such a thing. I'd much rather get a good laptop, and a tablet. Or a 2 in 1, for those tasks where I wanted such a device.

But also trying to shoehorn big graphics into that removes a lot of the portability. Short battery life and too heavy.
GPUs generally cannot be hot-plugged. It would crash the moment you disconnected the keyboard. I think Alienware's setup still requires a reboot.

You'd also run into issues with lack of CPU power - the 7 or 15W CPUs in those types of devices is going to be as much of an issue as the GPU.

Pendrokar

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015

A reboot is fine, as an Android OS would not fit heavy duty work anyway. But I can see how even a Windows RT OS would require a reboot.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Such a device does not exist because there is no market for it.

You're trying to turn a laptop into a hi perf graphics machine, AND a tablet. Resulting in a heavy, hot, expensive tool that does nothing very well.
I certainly would not buy such a thing. I'd much rather get a good laptop, and a tablet. Or a 2 in 1, for those tasks where I wanted such a device.

But also trying to shoehorn big graphics into that removes a lot of the portability. Short battery life and too heavy.

Solution

vithrell

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Some time ago I was curious about that kind of device as well. Closest thing i can find is AMD Turbo Dock technology, which takes similar route to Asus with their ROG GX700 - extending cooling capacity of device by docking it to some kind of additional cooling solution. Unfortunately, due to huge technology gap, AMD Temash ULP APUs were not efficient enough to compete with Intel's Bay Trail Atom SoCs in slim, light, fanless tablets. But considering a fact that AMD supports some kind of hybrid graphics technology with full control over drivers Temash successor paired with low power mobile Radeon in keyboard could support hot swapping better than BayTrail + Nvidia GeForce combo with optimus technology.

vithrell

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Well, Microsoft begs to differ. ;)
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/10/microsoft-surface-books-secret-nvidia-gpu-what-is-it/

USAFRet

Illustrious

Pretty sure I can be forgiven in not knowing about a device that hasn't been released yet.

TRENDING THREADS