I have the Acer Aspire 6 model, and I was using it at school just fine. I turned it on again later and the display did not show, then the left hinge started to smoke and light up. I immediately turned it off and every time I open or close the laptop’s lid, the hinge would make a small spark. Is this major damage or is it just something in the hinge’s wiring?
Yes that is an issue that needs to be looked at. I would not use that system till you contact Acer support or bring it to a computer repair shop to be looked at.
There should be no wiring in the hinge itself, the only wiring would be to the screen and the wifi antennas.