Laptop Advice Gaming/ Media/ School

jdubya29

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hey guys I am in need of some advice on a new laptop. I have some specifications in considering my purchase.

1. World of Warcraft/ Skyrim Ultra settings
2. Be able to output to a 30-42 TV at times for media/ gaming.
3. Video conferencing for school/ work.
4. Purchased from Dell ( Do to where my credit card is at )
5. Price range of 1,000-1,800 ( Would of course love to be on the lower end of that )

I travel alot for work so the laptop is a must.
I want the option to set-up while home, on a larger screen, possibly running wow on the big monitor and playing a movie on the laptop screen or vice versa.

I am new at this set-up and am not sure if it is able to be done.
Any info on other accessories needed to complete this would be great. ie... Wires/ TV size/ Outputs/ Inputs/ Software. I do have extra funds for those items if needed.

I have seen some reviews on different dell laptops running wow on ultra but never is it mentioned if these also can do the output to a Tv.

Thanks
Joe W

Hello JW;

"able to output to a 30-42 TV" - OK, but what resolution? 1920x1080 (1080p)? 1366 x 768 (720p)?
Both Dell options here can use Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) to connect with a TV.
You need a adapter for the TV $99 from Dell - $65 from Amazon
Without the wireless adapter you'll need a HDMI cable. 15ft HDMI cable $10

Dell XPS 17 ($694 and up) or Alienware M14x ($1300) will get you the GT 550M/555M graphics card with a Core i5/i7 CPU. Both have 1600x900 LCDs.
That combo is going to let you run WoW on High/Ultra and Skryim on Medium graphics on 1920x1080 resolution.
On a 720p (1366x768) TV it's probably Ultra for WoW and High for Skryim on High. That's the about same as the 1600x900 laptop LCD screens.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 7
X Laptop Tech Support 6
C Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 8
B Laptop Tech Support 5
T Laptop Tech Support 4
K Laptop Tech Support 2
Boris P Laptop Tech Support 3