Laptop AMD Dedicated Graphics is supposed to have 2GB but only shows 512MB in task manager

Lord_Mashie

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Not sure if this is the right category to ask this in but it's (laptop) GPU related so hopefully it's correct :/
Anyways, as the title reads, my laptop's AMD GPU is supposed to have 2GB of dedicated VRAM (as it's labelled) but task manager and my games only see 512MB (however GPU-Z says there's 2048MB). I have the latest drivers installed as far as I'm aware (I've tried using the drivers from both the websites of Acer and AMD).

My laptop is an Acer Aspire E5-553G-12C6 and the dedicated GPU is branded as an 'R8-M445X' which apparently is an R7 M340 alongside the integrated graphics (which DOES have 512MB) and that's what all the applications see (R7 M340). Can someone please tell me what the issue is here? (I see other people with the same GPU in their very similar laptops have complained about the same issue with no solutions on this forum too)

Solution
right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter

click the save all information button
this allows you to save a text document showing details of all devices, this will tell us if how much each device has. upload that file to a file sharing site and show a link to it here.

Clicking on the Display tab may show both GPU, or just the integrated one

What normally happens is the integrated graphics runs desktop, the GPU only runs in game. So Task manager is only seeing the integrated, that is normal for it. It should however swap to the GPU for gaming

Make sure you install the correct driver >

For laptops with AMD processors/APU's:

You do not update the discrete graphics card...you update the APU. This updated...

Colif

Distinguished
right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and press enter

click the save all information button
this allows you to save a text document showing details of all devices, this will tell us if how much each device has. upload that file to a file sharing site and show a link to it here.

Clicking on the Display tab may show both GPU, or just the integrated one

What normally happens is the integrated graphics runs desktop, the GPU only runs in game. So Task manager is only seeing the integrated, that is normal for it. It should however swap to the GPU for gaming

Make sure you install the correct driver >

For laptops with AMD processors/APU's:

You do not update the discrete graphics card...you update the APU. This updated driver serves both the integrated and discrete graphics. It is the only driver you install.

https://community.amd.com/thread/219053

Solution