laptop and charger?

akosiJD

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
so i had my netbook repaired and don't remember if i had left it with the charger. the shop claimed that it wasn't written in the "job order" and i can't find it anywhere in the house. question is: is there any way to check if those guys have my charger? any way to match it with my netbook that it says that "this charger was packaged with the netbook?" thanks all.

Solution
Nope. There's no master database that says "the AC adapter with this serial number goes with the laptop with this serial number." It's your word against theirs.

You'll have to buy a replacement AC adapter from your netbook manufacturer, or a universal adapter (make sure the output voltage is the same, the adapter's amperage is equal to or exceeds the amps of the original, and that the plug is the same size as the socket. Be wary of buying the cheapest replacement you can find on Amazon. They're often uncertified and ship straight from China. They often produce excess RF noise (technically making them illegal to use in the U.S. or EU), put out dirty power or the wrong voltage which can damage your equipment, and often are poorly...
Nope. There's no master database that says "the AC adapter with this serial number goes with the laptop with this serial number." It's your word against theirs.

You'll have to buy a replacement AC adapter from your netbook manufacturer, or a universal adapter (make sure the output voltage is the same, the adapter's amperage is equal to or exceeds the amps of the original, and that the plug is the same size as the socket. Be wary of buying the cheapest replacement you can find on Amazon. They're often uncertified and ship straight from China. They often produce excess RF noise (technically making them illegal to use in the U.S. or EU), put out dirty power or the wrong voltage which can damage your equipment, and often are poorly assembled and fall apart after a year or two.

For future reference, pretty much everyone has a smartphone nowadays. Any time you return something or drop off something for repair, take a picture of it (with the return packaging or something identifying the repair shop in the background). If you're lending something to someone, take the picture with them holding the item you're lending. That way if in a few months they say you never lent it to them, you can just show them the picture to "remind" them.

Solution

akosiJD

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

thank you for your reply. its not so often that i have things like this fixed. taking a picture is an excellent idea. will see what i can do with a charger replacement.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I would go back to the shop and ask them to "Please" look around for the charger, despite it not being on the job order. I can't think of a reason they would intentionally want to keep it, as chargers are usually device specific. Did you check in your car, under the seats, etc.?

akosiJD

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

yes i did... i checked everywhere. that day up until now had so much to do that i can't recall what transpired. a few reasons come to mind as to why they'd keep the charger... i had to ask here if there was a way to identify the charger as belonging to my netbook since i didn't want to go back there with no proof whatsoever.

TRENDING THREADS