Laptop Battery Instantly Depletes At 20%

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
Hi,
My laptop works fine and the battery appears to last a normal amount of time, but when the battery reaches about 20% (Unplugged), it instantly hibernates and goes into reserve battery mode. When I turn it back on after being plugged in, it reads about 7% battery (Consistent with being in reserve power mode). I was wondering whether this is a battery problem or maybe a software issue. I suspect it may have something to do with upgrading to Win10, but I wonder if anyone has any other ideas.

Kind Regards,
Alex

Note: I have had this laptop for about 8 months now, and it originally came with Win8.1, but I upgraded it to Win10 very soon after getting it, so I didn't have the opportunity to see the battery performance on win8.1. Ever since then I believe it has had this problem.

Model: Acer ES1-411 (Pentium 4160)

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
If the battery is lasting the correct amount of time, id suggest it's a software or calibration issue.
I hardly use windows, but if it's anything like it used to be, there are a million settings for every imaginable feature. There could be a setting telling the laptop to hibernate at 20% instead of another percentage?
Either that or there's a discrepancy between the the % displayed on screen, and the % windows thinks is left... though I can't imagine why.

Check if all software/drivers are up to date for a start.

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
I saw on the support page for acer it recommend updating BIOS when upgrading to Win10. Normally I don't deal much with the BIOS, so I don't know if that might have something to do with it, or how to update it.

I have checked the battery settings and the drivers on the acer website, and they're all up to date.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
OsamaHad Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 5
Cowseed Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 2
Silent_ Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 0
H Laptop Tech Support 2
CptBaas Laptop Tech Support 0
dipudangol Laptop Tech Support 8
Adnansattar Laptop Tech Support 6