Laptop can't open rar files over 1gb.

PlzDuntCensorME

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
I have a rar file that's over 1gb, and it won't open on my laptop. I can open it on other laptops but not mine. I always get a,"The archive is either unknown format or damaged". I have repaired the archive but it turns into a 0kb file when i try opening it. The program I use is WinRar.

Gourab Sarkar

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
This problem is very common if you have a damaged or corrupted WinRAR or if you installed winrar from an unauthentic source (with combined malware). I suggest you reinstall Winrar having latest version.
Also, this happens if the archive you are trying to open contains viruses & your antivirus blocks it. Check your security software event logs (or history). Do not open an archive with viruses in it. This may damage your system.

Gourab Sarkar

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Hi again,
Can you provide your laptop OS & Build details? I'll be to help out more then.
Also your RAM & CPU Usage at the time of error would help very much.

Also, have you ever tried to unarchive (open) this file from a USB Drive (assuming the file on USB drive has been verified to run successfully on other laptops)?

Pls note that Archive software manufacturers recommend atleast 1GB of RAM (512 MB or more RAM when archive is large) for the smooth, uninterrupted & errorless processing of archives.

PlzDuntCensorME

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015

Build: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-aspire-v-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-silver-intel-ci5-5200u-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-8-1-v3-572pg-5153/10362498.aspx Check Details and Specs tab (Scroll down 2/5 of page)
RAM Usage: 21%
CPU Usage: 48-55%

Yes, the file works on other laptops and PCs via USB.

PlzDuntCensorME

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
Not every application gives me the "Archive is either an unknown format or damaged", it varies with the applications. 7zip gave me an "Cannot open archive" error.

The OS versions for the other laptops are Windows 10, Windows 7 Home Premium, and Windows 8.1.

I have recently tried to extract the file on my laptop with WinRAR and checked "Keep broken files", no luck there.

Is this like a driver problem?? I mean only this laptop (my 4th one) has had such a strange problem. This never happened on any of my other laptops.

PlzDuntCensorME

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
I fixed it thanks to a virus.

SO I got a very annoying unknown virus that felt like I was hacked at the same time for 2 weeks until i took action. Couldn't run applications or let alone use the mouse (or touchscreen), so I reset to factory default. Re-installed all the drivers and stuff onto a USB and booted windows, plugged USB in and installed all the drivers again (there is 1 unknown device, have no clue what this device is for) and everything is working properly.

Turns out my problem with the rar files is also gone.

Thanks for all of your responses and help!!