Laptop chkdsk yields corrupted files, going to replace hdd via cloning...but need best practice

Daders

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Hi all,

Been reading through threads about cloning hard drives, I don't foresee any problems with that process as it is super simple. My question is how to do this in a laptop since I only have the one hard drive "bay"? I have already purchased both an external and internal hard drive thinking I could clone to external, then swap out internal and finally clone the external to new internal... I fear the computer will try to boot from new internal. So now I'm second guessing how I'm going to successfully swap the hard drives. I am on a newer (about 1.5 yrs old) Acer that has no optical drive running Win 8.1. Just trying to find best method before I tackle this project.

TIA for your responses.

Solution
Welcome to the community, Daders!

I would strongly advise against cloning your corrupted HDD, because this way you will transfer those corrupted sectors to your new drive.
I'd suggest you to simply backup your most important data on an external drive from, then replace the internal and do a fresh & clean install of Windows on your new primary HDD. Otherwise you risk having issues with the brand new drive later on.

Let me know if you have any questions & Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Welcome to the community, Daders!

I would strongly advise against cloning your corrupted HDD, because this way you will transfer those corrupted sectors to your new drive.
I'd suggest you to simply backup your most important data on an external drive from, then replace the internal and do a fresh & clean install of Windows on your new primary HDD. Otherwise you risk having issues with the brand new drive later on.

Let me know if you have any questions & Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Daders

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
So glad I asked first. Thanks for the advice Supersoph. I haven't re-installed a Windows product in years (since they stopped providing CDs with purchase of new computers). Since my current drive is corrupted and I do not have a Win 8.1 CD am I okay to create a boot disk from my current system? I do have Vista and XP discs that I can utilize, but my new laptop is a touchscreen and would like to continue to use the feature.

As you may be able to tell, I know just enough to be dangerous...not enough to fix my own mistakes!

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Did your new laptop come with the pre-installed Windows 8.1?
If so, you should have the OS product key somewhere on the bottom or it should be already built into your laptop's motherboard. In the second case, you wouldn't need to enter any product key and Windows should activate automatically once you go online.
However, if you face any difficulties, I believe you should contact MS's support and they will provide you with an activation code (this is only if the laptop came with the pre-installed Win 8.1).

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Daders

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Yes, pre-installed Win 8.1. This is crazy frustrating...Win 8.1 Product Key is indeed buried in the Windows Registry and not given anywhere else with my Acer. I am quite certain this is my last foray with Windows, Microsoft is becoming so very not helpful to existing customers. I can not be given my Product Key (ME the original purchaser and owner of an Acer laptop who is willing to give you whatever information you want)....oh no, BUT both Acer and Microsoft will gladly sell me recovery media or new Product Key, respectively. WHAT?! I already paid for this Product Key when I bought the computer.

Anyway, enough with the griping, on to solutions! I downloaded Belarc Advisor to uncover my own Product Key and think that I can just do what is described here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Thanks again for the assistance SuperSoph, as it turns out my replacement hard drive (which is still in transit) is a WD Red 1 TB capacity and I cannot wait until I receive it!