Laptop: Choose between Asus X550L i7 and Dell inspiron 3542

dragondude28

Honorable
May 28, 2012
hi,

I am looking for a laptop in a ranger of about $800. This laptop will be used for a lot of my university work and a bit of gaming. I will be using some programs for uni that might be a bit resource intensive like a CAD program as it is a engineering degree. but i dont knw exactly what as of this moment. and it needs to last for a while on battry power. hoping at least 5+. higher the better.

I have done a bit of searching myself and come up with 2 laptops which i like.

Asus X550L

CPU: core i7 2.0ghz/2.6ghz (4510U) (im not too sure as to which processor model for the 2.6ghz)
Ram: 4gb DDR3
Harddrive: 1TB
Screen: 15.6
GPU: 2GB Geforce GT820
Windows 8.1 SL

Dell inspiron 3542
CPU: core i7 2.0ghz (4510U) (the specs listed on the handout just mentions 4th gen but im quite sure that its this models when i was asking about the specs. will confirm before purchase)
Ram: 8gb DDR3
Harddrive: 1TB
Screen: 15.6
GPU: 2GB Geforce GT 820
Windows 8

out of these two laptops which do you think would function better for my situation.

Thanks you,

Solution
I would go with asus just because they last longer. Because specwise both are pretty close.

What prices are the laptops. If the asus is less expensive, just add 4 GB ram and they are the same.
What warranties do the laptop have ?

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I would go with asus just because they last longer. Because specwise both are pretty close.

What prices are the laptops. If the asus is less expensive, just add 4 GB ram and they are the same.
What warranties do the laptop have ?

Solution

dragondude28

Honorable
May 28, 2012

yeah its about $50 dollars cheaper, the dell has a 3 year warranty while the dell has a 2 year. but yeah i guess i might go with the asus then. thanks.

I may consider getting the ram and maybe even a better battery. would there be any issues in getting a different battery to go with it?