Question Laptop completely unresponsive

Jan 17, 2020
2 days ago I decided to run a disk defrag, which took a long time and during and after the disk defrag my laptop was constantly freezing, I decided to system restore to a previous point and my laptop worked for a day but now it has started freezing again, I ran sfc which didn't do anything (like always) and DISM Checkhealth which found no errors so decided to use ScanHealth which is stuck and not starting? I can't press or do anything? It's been like this for 2 hours now.
I have also already scanned for malware and viruses after doing the system restore. Found nothing.

Any help is really appreciated!

Once it is out of power (if you cannot remove the battery), then try starting up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will load fine. If it does, while most programs won't work in there, then you know that the problem is software related and not hardware.

However, if it still has problems, even in "Safe Mode" than the problem is likely hardware. While programs can check for them, they can't always find all problems, nor fix them all.

If it starts up fine in "Safe Mode", then you need to go back and check for updates that could be the problem as well as bad programs. Things that installed along with other programs without your knowledge. Happens more than you think. If you find any and can't uninstall from normal Windows, then go back into "Safe Mode" do the uninstalling from there.

If the problem turns out to be hardware, then you can either contact the manufacturer, if under warranty, or a local tech if not under warranty.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.