Laptop connected to TV using HDMI 2 days ago, last night nothing, replaced HDMI cable, still nothing, searched TV settings it

Caz___Cork

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Looking for an answer, have been using Laptop connected to TV with HDMI cable for years with no problem, last night it wouldnt work, bought a new HDMI cable still wont work. I tried a few different things ( I'm not a techie) Went through the TV settings & its not detecting the laptop, what can I do?

Solution
:-( you must have some friends...:) maybe one of them has a player you can borrow. Anyways, without using a "non computer source", you are just "guessing" that your tv is the problem. I know from experience that "second display" can have issues. You can try powering / unplugging everything, ie both power cable and hdmi cables. Power down the lap top. Connect the hdmi cable to the tv and PC, power up the tv, wait for the screen to start up, then power up the laptop and let it boot up... does that help anything?

CircuitDaemon

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
It could be a software thing. Try holding the "Start" key and "P" at the same time and keep pressing "P" until the "Extend" or "Duplicate" setting are selected (according to your need). Also, try another TV or computer monitor just to be sure. Test the HDMI cable with another device (Bluray player or whatever). If it still doesn't work, it could also be a damaged port. Maybe it was pulled while connected and it broke a little? Who knows. Give it a try and let us know.

Caz___Cork

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

I tried a different laptop today, tried both HDMI cables & still nothing so it must be the TV, what do I do now?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
You might be pointing your finger at the tv too fast. Try using a dvd player or some other device that IS NOT a computer as computers can have "second display" issues versus a standalone device. Further, you don't actually indicate what, if anything, is happening when you are attempting to get the system to work.... just saying "it stopped working"... doesn't really provide the forum with much information. Is it indicating "no connection"? Is it saying "unsupported mode"?... etc.
Your tv may have an issue but it is also equally likely that your pc has "driver / IOS" issues at this point based on your testing.

Caz___Cork

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

Apologies for not being clearer, normally I just plug the HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV, to watch movies I have downloaded, usually the TV shows the Laptop screen as soon its connected but now it doesn't show anything other than a blank screen, I tried using 2 different HDMI cables & 2 laptops, I dont have a DVD player to try it with. When I went into TV settings & got to the HDMI setting it said not detected, I have a Sony Bravia TV

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
:-( you must have some friends...:) maybe one of them has a player you can borrow. Anyways, without using a "non computer source", you are just "guessing" that your tv is the problem. I know from experience that "second display" can have issues. You can try powering / unplugging everything, ie both power cable and hdmi cables. Power down the lap top. Connect the hdmi cable to the tv and PC, power up the tv, wait for the screen to start up, then power up the laptop and let it boot up... does that help anything?

Solution