Laptop cooler worth or not?

Kaktus88

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
I occasionally game on my workstation laptop with gtx 850m and i7 4710hq. Some games run it quite hot. Most i have measured is 89 at cpu and 81 at gpu. Thats still quite under the limit, but it is not that hot as it could be, like for example in summer. Also fans get quite loud.
I have noticed laptop coolers are like 20€, which might be worth for me. So my question is:
-How effective would such cooler be.
-Whats the consumtion of such cooler. (laptop consumtion is like 10w-120w and thats quite high.
-would reduced heat extend hardware lifetime?
-Can it be used like dockingstation. I use 24' inch monitor and external keyboard and mouse, meaning I have quite a few cables to unplug everytime I am going portable

Solution
Not at all since i noticed that when i was playing the CPU usage was not more than 40% . So , setting the max speed lower , forced the application threads to run on all cores . i mean 4 cores working at 50% is better than 2 cores at 100% because the voltage is decreased/lower and the heat is less .

The bigger impact on the 3D performance was made by the GPU underclocking . i lost about 15% but i got 15-20 degree Celsius drop of the GPU temp .

i have two Windows plans : 1.CPU max state =53%,2.CPU max state=85%
i use the first for gaming to avoid overheating and the second for Internet surfing

This is my experience .
Obviously , your CPU temp s are high . The GPU is fine

Edit: My laptop has only one fan not two !

rockie_

Estimable
its recommended to use a cooling pad .

i coped with the high temp this way :

1.in Windows power plan :max CPU state :50-85%
2.in Windows power plan , CPU cooling : paasive i.e. the laptop tries lowering the clock then speeds up the fan , if needed .
3. But you dont need it , i underclocked my GPU .

Now i play at 70C CPU and 78-85C GPU . Before my GPU was sitting at 99C .

Kaktus88

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014

LOL! Underclocking to reach desired fps is quite a bruteforce idea, dont you think?

rockie_

Estimable
Not at all since i noticed that when i was playing the CPU usage was not more than 40% . So , setting the max speed lower , forced the application threads to run on all cores . i mean 4 cores working at 50% is better than 2 cores at 100% because the voltage is decreased/lower and the heat is less .

The bigger impact on the 3D performance was made by the GPU underclocking . i lost about 15% but i got 15-20 degree Celsius drop of the GPU temp .

i have two Windows plans : 1.CPU max state =53%,2.CPU max state=85%
i use the first for gaming to avoid overheating and the second for Internet surfing

This is my experience .
Obviously , your CPU temp s are high . The GPU is fine

Edit: My laptop has only one fan not two !

Solution