laptop core processor upgrade 2015

marktan23

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Hello

http://ark.intel.com/compare/81012,75128

I currently have the Intel® Core™ i5-4210M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)

I want to upgrade the CPU to Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

My laptop is an Alienware 17 r2 model and I want to know if the upgrade is compatible.

I would also like to know how I am able to configure my Bios settings so the upgrade can run smoothly and the settings can be optimized with the new upgrade.

I am very curious whether or not the turbo boost technology will be enabled or activated because I read that the 4th gen processors isn't compatible with the turbo boost technology..

Furthermore I also have certain questions about application hangs.
my laptops purpose is for running high end games and I sometimes like to play while the charger isn't plugged into my laptop. I never had this problem before but when I play, the current battery option is in high performance but sometimes the application that I am using hangs. Is there any fix to this. Will a factory restore resolve the issue?

Also I am wondering if the factory restore option will reconfigure my bios settings making it incompatible with my i7 core processor upgrade.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Both are socket FCPGA946, both work on the same chipsets, so you should be fine with that upgrade.

the i7 has a higher TDP, but I don't see that posing a problem - I had a concern about this when I did my upgrade, but it hasn't been an issue.