Solved! Laptop cpu turbo

hannibal2469

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
hi guys
can anyone tell me whether, while choosing laptops one should give much importance to the turbo boost feature in processors, i am asking this as a lot of laptops have the core i3 23xxm which has no turbo boost
i personally think it would make major difference as the non turbo versions are stuck at around 2.3 ghz while the ones with turboo can go upto at least 2.9 ghz max

Solution
Actually, you can think of that as 2 cores @ 2.3Ghz vs 1 core @ 2.9Ghz.
The top dual core Sandy Bridge CPUs have turbo speeds above 3Ghz. Example; Core i7 2620M 2.7Ghz, 3.4Ghz turbo.

Comparing i3-2310M vs i5-2410M. The value of having a single core run @ 2.9Ghz is useful under certain (limited) conditions. Having 2 cores running @ 2.3Ghz is, everything considered, never a bad thing.

Without knowing how you plan to use the laptop it's hard to say what value the i5 CPU will have over the i3 CPU.
But chances are very good either one will be fine for you.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Personally, I believe if you don't let your laptop get clogged up with bloatware, don't fill up random huge files on your desktop, regularly use CCleaner and Defraggler, and don't use any pc securities that are system hogs, then you will be good to go.

Actually, you can think of that as 2 cores @ 2.3Ghz vs 1 core @ 2.9Ghz.
The top dual core Sandy Bridge CPUs have turbo speeds above 3Ghz. Example; Core i7 2620M 2.7Ghz, 3.4Ghz turbo.

Comparing i3-2310M vs i5-2410M. The value of having a single core run @ 2.9Ghz is useful under certain (limited) conditions. Having 2 cores running @ 2.3Ghz is, everything considered, never a bad thing.

Without knowing how you plan to use the laptop it's hard to say what value the i5 CPU will have over the i3 CPU.
But chances are very good either one will be fine for you.

Solution