Laptop crashes when off battery

kevinmaster5000

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hello~

My laptop, and Asus Republic of Gamers, G75VX edition, will shut down completely at random times, ONLY when running on battery. By this i mean, I have close to no problems when my laptop is plugged in.

What happened exactly is when my laptop is running on the battery, at a random time, it can be 5 mins, it can be 30 mins, it will suddenly just shutdowns completely. I can turn the laptop on again after it shuts down and look at the power available. I made sure to check if it's from low power, and there seems to be no correlation, as in it'll shut down at any percent, whether it's at 10% of 70%.

I've had this laptop for about 2 and a half years now, maybe closer to 3 years. This has been happening for about 3 - 5 months now, so it hasn't been happening even since I purchased it. I updated software, drivers, GPU drivers, and even upgraded to windows 10, i some how managed to fix every issue but this crashing. I haven't been able to find anything in the power plan settings to find this, unless someone can suggest looking at something in particular.

And even got an energy report out of it, seems like the battery is running at about 60% of the manufacturers capacity now. Also I have not replaced the battery yet, using the same one it had came with.

To define what i mean by shutting down is, I will be doing whatever, and in, for example, 15 minutes, every light on the laptop with turn off, keyboard, monitor, everything, and i have to turn it on, so a complete shut down when on battery.

Any suggestions?

In my opinion, it seems like the battery may be replaced. But I am not sure how to make sure the battery is what that's being faulty and needs replacement.

Looking forward to every suggestion!

Thank you so much :D

Solution
Or never have the option of running off the battery again.
I'd suggest looking on ebay for a battery, but without another machine to test against(one that you know works), it might throwing good money after bad. That being said, I think it's the best bet, look for a battery on ebay. Buy a new one, that someone is selling, and do a test. Ebay's pretty good about things if someone sends you one that doesn't work.
I'd say the odds of having an issue with the mobo/power converter are very small. Did your system ever tell you that your computer needs a new battery? I have an old laptop that did just that. I get a notification in the notification tray that tells me the system needs a new battery.

dudmont

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
I think your opinion is absolutely correct. Could be a bad cell, but whatever it is, I bet if you replace the batter, your system doesn't randomly shut off anymore. By plugging it in, and not having it shutdown, you've done your own troubleshooting.

kevinmaster5000

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Thanks for your reply, im thinking the same too. Im hoping for others to agree as well so i can feel reassured before i spent a hundred dollars on the battery (i checked for my series -_-)

Hi, sorry to tell you that, but the problem is coming from one of two places, it could be a component in the battery who stop the voltage from the battery to reach the laptop. Or it could be a component on the motherboard who stop the voltage from the battery to supply the laptop. Hopefully your problem is the battery itself.

kevinmaster5000

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to pinpoint which one is the problem? If it's the motherboard, getting a new battery won't do anything... I'm assuming i'd just have to get a new a laptop, right?

dudmont

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Or never have the option of running off the battery again.
I'd suggest looking on ebay for a battery, but without another machine to test against(one that you know works), it might throwing good money after bad. That being said, I think it's the best bet, look for a battery on ebay. Buy a new one, that someone is selling, and do a test. Ebay's pretty good about things if someone sends you one that doesn't work.
I'd say the odds of having an issue with the mobo/power converter are very small. Did your system ever tell you that your computer needs a new battery? I have an old laptop that did just that. I get a notification in the notification tray that tells me the system needs a new battery.

Solution

kevinmaster5000

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Bought a new battery, solved the problem. Didnt get an OEM, just bought it from Asus directly, expensive but safer and has to be on point for sure. Thanks~