Solved! Laptop does not come on after it enters sleep or hibernation.

Nov 7, 2018
I have a laptop that when it enters hibernation or sleep mode, will go into that mode normally, but will never come back out. In order to get it to exit these modes, you have to power it down, take the battery out, and hold the power button down for 5+ seconds. If you don't, It won't come on.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling battery driver, windows updates, a new laptop battery, messing with the power settings, and running anti/virus scans, testing these modes in safe mode.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655 with W10.

Solution
Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

Also.... Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update...
Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
5. Change/set it to allow.
6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

Also.... Try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power management drivers for your laptop make and model.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not remove any ACPI entries. Doing so may disable some of your laptop’s power management features, such as the ability to put it to sleep by pressing the Power button. It is also a tad complicated to reinstall those features, so best to avoid the problem all together.

Solution
Nov 7, 2018

Thank you for the response, Unfortunately, they both didn't work. I am going to reset the system to new and see if that will fix the issue. I will update on if this works.

Nov 7, 2018
I've come to the conclusion it's something hardware related. I did a clean install of windows 10 and the problem still persisted. Unsure what could cause it but it is an older computer. Thanks for the help!