Laptop doesn't turn on

anantde

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Hey there!
I have a compaq presario cq40 and have been using it since the last two years. Recently, the battery started giving me some troubles and the laptop regularly displayed a message to replace the battery. However, since I use it only at my desk, I decided not to do so.

Unfortunately, one day I forgot to switch on the charging plug, and the laptop shut down by itself. When I tried to restart the laptop, I got the lights on the power source and wifi button ( indicating that the charger is fine and that power is actually reaching my laptop) . Also, the other
Lights such as caps lock etc were not blinking. ( so no other failure) but the laptop automatically shuts down in a few seconds. I can hear the fan running and all, but every time I try to start it, the laptop simply shuts down without even reaching the boot stage.

I tried the whole exercise without a battery, with the battery, and many other ways. I noticed 2 interesting things.
1) when I freezer the battery for half a day, and then tried to switch on the laptop, it did work. I worked on it for over 8 hours and then I finally shut it down. Next morning, again the same issue :(

2) there seems to be some correlation between the wifi lights and the laptop not turning on. If the lights are red/ orange when I turn on the laptop it will go on to the boot stage. However, if the lights are blue ( wifi off) then the laptop won't boot.

I an extremely confused and I don't know what is causing this problem. Anyone's got a clue??

Solution

mine does show charging lights but won't power on. I was instructed to take out the battery and wait 5 minutes and plug in the power cord and it should power up. Next, click on computer in the main menu and right click the hard drive. Then click on properties an click on tools and select the second choice(there are only 2 choices under tools), then after that test is finished, click on the first choice and run that and that should fix the problem.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
If I recall Compaq laptops used a charging circuit in the battary pack. It may have some safety features to prevent overheating. Does it have a button with some LED's to show charge?

anantde

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
No. There are no such buttons. but i guess you might be right. the laptop was infact getting overheated in the past. and i could not work without a cooling pad.

Alan Armijo

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

mine does show charging lights but won't power on. I was instructed to take out the battery and wait 5 minutes and plug in the power cord and it should power up. Next, click on computer in the main menu and right click the hard drive. Then click on properties an click on tools and select the second choice(there are only 2 choices under tools), then after that test is finished, click on the first choice and run that and that should fix the problem.

Solution

Alan Armijo

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Alan Armijo

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

mine does show charging lights but won't power on. I was instructed to take out the battery and wait 5 minutes and plug in the power cord,without the battery, and it should power up. Next, click on computer in the main menu and right click the hard drive. Then click on properties an click on tools and select the second choice(there are only 2 choices under tools), then after that test is finished, click on the first choice and run that and that should fix the problem.